• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lanparty DK 790FXB-M2RSH PCIe issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I'm having issues with the PCIe slots on the M2RSH. Since updating to the latest bios, the only PCIe slot that works is the bottom one. If I put my graphics card in the 1st or 2nd slot, I get no video. If I put it in the bottom slot, it works fine.

I could flash back to an old BIOS, however I'm trying to run a sempron 145. If I go to an old bios, the sempron 145 is not supported. If I stay on the latest BIOS, I only have one functional PCIe slot.

Any tips? How hard would it be to take the sempron 145 support out of the latest bios, edit that into the old bios, and reflash? Anyone ever hear of someone doing that?

Any other tips for getting PCIe slot 1 or 2 working with the latest bios?

Beating up on old brain cells.

2009-10-08 << is that the bios date code you used?

2009-04-21 << that one should support a sempron as well.

Have you got the newer manual DK790FXBM2RS2H.pdf? The earlier uploaded versions did not
have the bios pics and descriptions.

Page #60 is PCIE Configuration. You may have to set GPP Power Limit to 130 or so. I think I used to use 125.

Next page #61 set Gen 2 High Speed Mode to Enable Software Switch. I assume you have a later type video card in use.

Slot Power Limit to 130 watt or so. I think I used to use 125.

Then on page #62 you can set the second slot to Gen2 Software switch.

I have not used that board in over 2 years so I am trying to remember using this old *ss memory of mine to remember. Been gone from DFI for nearing 2 years so we are digging hard on the memory cells.

NOTE: Before I posted this, I went back and looked at pics again and I see you can adjust settings for PCIe slot 1, 2, and 3. If using only one card in top slot, I would even disable the other 2 slots and set link width of that slot to x16. If using two video cards, I would disable slot 3 and set link width of the other 2 slots to x8.

About all I can remember other than trying that earlier bios mentioned above. No reports that I remember of any situation like you are seeing. I expect the older video cards in use in the boards heyday did not have PCEe speeds of the newer cards.

You are the man, thank you very much Rgone!

I am indeed using the 10/8 version. I'm going to roll back to the 4/21 version and see where that gets me - I didn't think it would support the sempron 145. It's worth a shot though even if it doesn't.

I may also need to grab the new manual - the manual I have barely has any info in it, just covering some jumpers and basic details.

I am testing it with an 8400 as well as a 5870, both don't work except in the bottom PCIe slot.

I have read one other account of a similar issue when researching my problem. The person wanted to RMA their board, which obviously isn't a possibility.

Really appreciate your help though, that has given me a lot of pointers already for things to try.

By the way, I'm aiming to get a raid card as well as the 5870 running in it. Trying to get the PCMark05 world record on it, but I need to take the sempron to 6GHz with it - hoping to hit 430FSB once I get the PCIe issue worked out. :) The first place score I'm trying to beat is running a 7.3GHz pentium, but I can take him if this board can get my sempron where it needs to go. :rock:

Same result with that older bios.

Frustrating, as I had a revodrive working along with the videocard when I first received the board and tested it on a 555 BE. Now that I've changed BIOS, I can't get a video card to work in any slot but the bottom one.

I've tried setting different wattage settings in BIOS as well, as well as setting it to software switch.

/cks/sn/py/cc/cd/cp/ld/WB/ch << you flashed the bios with those switches right?

If you flash back to the bios that had the 555BE and revodrive working and THEY no longer work as before the lane speed switcher on the board has gone bad.

I did not flash with those switches. I flashed using the bootable USB method, which doesn't present any options other than inputting the file name and hitting enter. The flash went good though.

I'm going to flash to older BIOS now, I don't know which one it came with as I didn't pay attention. :(

Do you know which the earliest bios is that supports the 555 BE? I'm not sure how to tell.

Last edited:
Well, its dead entirely now. Flashed the oldest bios, it said successful, it reset, went to bios and changed the boot order... Powered down, now it won't even power on for more than half a second, then keeps trying to power itself back on then shutting down.

Well, its dead entirely now. Flashed the oldest bios, it said successful, it reset, went to bios and changed the boot order... Powered down, now it won't even power on for more than half a second, then keeps trying to power itself back on then shutting down.

Crap is just crap in any language. Sorry man. I was looking around for one of the old bios modders I used to know.

:bang head

Worst case on the current issues, grab something like this and I'll solder it on for you.
No clue about that seller or that chip specifically, just linked it as a concept.

on some boards if you have the bios on a cd or a usb it can pull it off of there. I had heard this and tried it but it has never worked for me.

Looks like its an MJ fan and it just wanted to do the Thriller thing... It's back from the dead.

Removed the 555 BE, ram, and GPU, powered on and it hung with some post code instead of flaking out... Powered down, pulled the PSU cable, and put everything back - it came back with an 88 post code but it stayed on rather than doing the power on/power off cycle. Played musical DIMM slots, and in DIMM2-3 it came back to life.

That's the good news. The bad news is I've tried every BIOS available through the DFI site and the first 2 PCIe slots are still dead to the world - can't get the GPU or anything else to run in those slots. I've also tried a bunch of different settings for slot 1 and 2, but nothing seems to be working.

Tried the 8400, 5870, areca, and revodrive in those slots - they get power from the slots, but they don't display video, post their BIOS, or show up in windows.

I'm going to cook the board tomorrow, and see if that does the first PCIe slots any good.

Back