• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping my XP-120 and X2 IHS: Pics inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It might be better looking than graph paper, but the point of graph paper is that the lines are straight, so you can see in the reflection if there are any irregularaties. That last shot looks nice though...what grit was that with?

doesn't beat my 3.0E :), but nice job nonetheless :thup:

ihsxp1.jpg

ihsxp2.jpg

ihsxp3.jpg

(you know its scary when your CPU reflects holographic images off of another surface)

and of course the official flatness test:

flat.jpg

(click on pics to enlarge them... the slight shrinkage by the forum distorts them slightly)

Last edited:
Holy hell. Thats hott! What gritt did you use and does it improve tempatures much?

~Ken

thats a 10 micron finish according to the paper i used... but i wore it down for about an hour, so probably a few microns less, and then i did another 15 minutes on a sheet of printer paper, and 10 more on some looseleaf, all for the ULTIMATE super crazy OMFG flat and smooth IHS, all on a processor that sucks my left nut :eek:

but it dropped temps from high 80's idle to high 70's/low 80's idle (farenheight), and from ~116 load to 104 load (dual prime 95's for 10 iterations)

Well, I finished up with the 2000 and moved on to printer paper...after about 10 min or so, I took a look at the bottom. The scratch lines were noticably bigger, and the reflection was starting to fade! Uh oh! switched back to the 2000 real quick to finish it of, and it looks like thats the way it'll stay. I guess my printer paper is just retarted or something :D .

On to the IHS! I'm using the foam that came with the proc as a backing and a little bit of water on the sandpaper, just enough to keep it damp. As long as it doesn't get on the pins, I think I'll be OK. Pics up in a few hours.

Use a little bit of liquid dish soap along with the water and it'll stay nice and slippery on the paper--you don't want it to "catch".

Don't bother with the soap. If you use the right amount of water, it's fine. Using soap will require you to rinse the IHS of the cpu. I don't think you wanna do that :p

Sneaky said:
doesn't beat my 3.0E :), but nice job nonetheless :thup:

(you know its scary when your CPU reflects holographic images off of another surface)

and of course the official flatness test:

(click on pics to enlarge them... the slight shrinkage by the forum distorts them slightly)

Very nice - now that's what I am talking about ... great work! :thup:

Last edited:
Well, I don't pretend to be an expert (I've only lapped two IHSes) but after lapping they need to be rinced regardless of whether or not soap is used--you don't want those microscopic metal particals hanging about. I rinced mine with alcohol and then patted them dry with a paper towel. Then I let them sit for 48 hours or so to make sure that any liquid still on (in?) them had time to evaporate. I never had a problem.

SolidxSnake said:
Don't bother with the soap. If you use the right amount of water, it's fine. Using soap will require you to rinse the IHS of the cpu. I don't think you wanna do that :p

Agree ... soap is a definite No-No. Makes it that much harder to wash away
any stray particles. That is VERY important once we reach these stages.
Otherwise you you won't get any improvement after a certain point.

At this point I will rehash what I said above. In most cases such perfectly mirrored
surfaces are complete overkill in this context. But they do look nice.
Too bad nobody will see them once th HS&F is installed.

If you lap the IHS, wouldn't it make more sense just to remove it? Your warranty is void either way, and you're going to get far better results without an IHS than with. I would be scared holding the CPU with the risk of my fingers bending the pins, seems less dangerous to just remove the IHS :shrug:

Regardless looking good, i never did take a shot at lapping, i just don't have the patience :-/

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
with a machII, theres not much to lap is there? sorry for the thread jack, but could you lap the copper thingy, i think its called the evap, that you put on the processor?

Yeah, you can lap the evap for better results. I just don't have the patience to sand something for hours on end :)

Sucka said:
If you lap the IHS, wouldn't it make more sense just to remove it? Your warranty is void either way, and you're going to get far better results without an IHS than with. I would be scared holding the CPU with the risk of my fingers bending the pins, seems less dangerous to just remove the IHS :shrug:

Regardless looking good, i never did take a shot at lapping, i just don't have the patience :-/

XP-120 + $630 un-IHSed cpu = $630 paperweight.

It's hard to seat an XP-120 on an open-die CPU, because it doesn't go straight down, it puts down uneven pressure when you mount it. You do know how fragile the core of a CPU is, correct? Putting on an XP-120 unevenly will definately crush the poor little core. And it is VERY hard to place an XP-120 on an open die, as you have to loosen the screws holding the clips, put the clips in while holding the heatsink steady, and then tighten them in. Now, i'm not positive if this is possible (i don't have an XP120/90), but I ahve seen this method before.

Now, if it was a Zalman, maybe :D

SolidxSnake said:
XP-120 + $630 un-IHSed cpu = $630 paperweight.

It's hard to seat an XP-120 on an open-die CPU, because it doesn't go straight down, it puts down uneven pressure when you mount it. You do know how fragile the core of a CPU is, correct? Putting on an XP-120 unevenly will definately crush the poor little core. And it is VERY hard to place an XP-120 on an open die, as you have to loosen the screws holding the clips, put the clips in while holding the heatsink steady, and then tighten them in. Now, i'm not positive if this is possible (i don't have an XP120/90), but I ahve seen this method before.

Now, if it was a Zalman, maybe :D

Yeah maybe so. I've never mounted a XP-120 so i'm not sure how that would work as far as mounting. But overall, without an IHS would be better than a lapped one. At the end of the day both are without warrenty and stand to be really neat looking key chains ;)

Back