• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping my XP-120 and X2 IHS: Pics inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sucka said:
Yeah maybe so. I've never mounted a XP-120 so i'm not sure how that would work as far as mounting. But overall, without an IHS would be better than a lapped one. At the end of the day both are without warrenty and stand to be really neat looking key chains ;)
XP-120s would definetly kill a open core CPU. And lapping an IHS isn't really that dangerous, you just have to be careful...and creative: Wait till you see my CPU holder that I'm using...sheer genius, if I do say so myself :D . No chance of a broken pin with this!

C'mon Sucka, you really shouldn't be talking, after how firm you were on not removing your IHS when we were teasing you about it :p .

LoneWolf121188 said:
XP-120s would definetly kill a open core CPU. And lapping an IHS isn't really that dangerous, you just have to be careful...and creative: Wait till you see my CPU holder that I'm using...sheer genius, if I do say so myself :D . No chance of a broken pin with this!

C'mon Sucka, you really shouldn't be talking, after how firm you were on not removing your IHS when we were teasing you about it :p .

lol......but if i was to lap it i would indeed remove IHS instead, of course i choose not to do either :)

Obviously you know better than I about the XP-120 and how it mounts. Can't wait to see the results!

Yeah, the XP mounting process is somewhat difficult. The way that I do it has so far seemed to be the most effective at not creating uneven pressure on the processor. Basically, you use one hand to push down directly on the center of the fins which would be the middle of the proccesor, and use the other hand to bend the clips into place until all are down, then let up. I can imagine that even with this process, it's so easy to accidently let up for a second and cause the heatsink to tip to one side if you're not done pushing the clips down. For that split second all the pressure could possibly be on a single corner of the core, which wouldn't be too good.

Anyway, nice work on lapping both, can't wait to see what kind of temp improvement you get!

JudgeDredd said:
Yeah, the XP mounting process is somewhat difficult. The way that I do it has so far seemed to be the most effective at not creating uneven pressure on the processor. Basically, you use one hand to push down directly on the center of the fins which would be the middle of the proccesor, and use the other hand to bend the clips into place until all are down, then let up. I can imagine that even with this process, it's so easy to accidently let up for a second and cause the heatsink to tip to one side if you're not done pushing the clips down. For that split second all the pressure could possibly be on a single corner of the core, which wouldn't be too good.

Anyway, nice work on lapping both, can't wait to see what kind of temp improvement you get!
I should get my brother to hold down the HSF while I lock the clips in or something...not a bad idea.

Thanks for the compliments guys...I'm off to work in about 10 min, when I get back, I'll throw her in.

Hey, do you think while my XP-120 is out, can I wash is down. There's a tiny bit of dust that I can't seem to get off on some of the fins...

yea, you can let it soak, or wash it while its out, just let it dry completely before you put it back in, i mean technically, its only a chunk of metal.

damn, now i want to lap my si-97...

Nice job on the IHS. Looks a little convex, but nonetheless, a good lapjob.

But really, get a digicam. You cant use a Canon ZR70MC (thats the camera I have, you have something in the ZR series, right) to take pics. Though the Canon ZR series takes damn good video, IMO.

SolidxSnake said:
Nice job on the IHS. Looks a little convex, but nonetheless, a good lapjob.

But really, get a digicam. You cant use a Canon ZR70MC (thats the camera I have, you have something in the ZR series, right) to take pics. Though the Canon ZR series takes damn good video, IMO.
I really want one, I just haven't found the $$. Its a ZR65MC, I think. Pics suck, video rocks.

The graph paper I used in that shot was a little wet, so it may look concave/convex because the paper isn't flat.

I just got back from work, so I'm going to clean up my HSF and then throw it all back together. I'm excited...

LoneWolf121188 said:
I really want one, I just haven't found the $$. Its a ZR65MC, I think. Pics suck, video rocks.

The graph paper I used in that shot was a little wet, so it may look concave/convex because the paper isn't flat.

I just got back from work, so I'm going to clean up my HSF and then throw it all back together. I'm excited...

BTW, i wasn't judging it being convex off of the graph-paper, I was judging off the shot of the camera's lens. It is circular for the most part, and then it just gets distorted. But then again, that's at the edge

Those edges are very rounded.

Tips:
Lapping should be done where the abrasive surface is face up on a pane of glass with a little alcohol between the paper and glass. This is so the paper siticks. The glass is to provide with the most flat surface possible which will not warp or give.

Only use pure 99% isoproponal alcohol. Anything else will leave residue.

When lapping you should keep your motion consistant (most of us are dudes... we know all about constant motions)

Figure 8 motions are the BEST way to do this. Figure 8 motion will help prevent groves and will also provide with an overall better, more flat result. If you go up down left right ot sporatic movement or circles even... you'll rock the thing you are laping and not even realize it until it's too late.

Try to time the ammount of time you spend on the first (lowest) grit which gets you down to the desired surface. You should spend this same ammount of time with each grit as you go higher.

SHINY DOES NOT MEAN GOOD!

Surface contact is FAR more important then a nice pretty mirror.

This

Heatsink---> )( <--- Processor

or this:

Heatsink---> || <--- Processor

FLAT IS KEY

Last edited:
SolidxSnake said:
BTW, i wasn't judging it being convex off of the graph-paper, I was judging off the shot of the camera's lens. It is circular for the most part, and then it just gets distorted. But then again, that's at the edge
Yeah, I noticed that too, it is quite rounded at the edges. But thats only at the very edges where there is little heat, the main source of heat (the core) is smack in the center and thats where its flat.

In other news, I decided to do something retarted. I was basically done, ready to throw everything back together, and I placed the CPU up against the bottom of the HSF. It was kinda cool, I think I could actually feel the air moving out of the area the CPU was, meaning the contact was very, very good. Then I thought, "well, since these surfaces are so flat, why dont we rub the CPU and the HSF base together so they match up?" So I did for about 10 sec, then checked to see the results: Nice, deep scratch marks in the middle of my CPU and HSF. Doh! :bang head :bang head Now I have to re-sand with the 2000 on both the HSF and the CPU.

Sorry guys, but results will have to wait a few more days.

WTF?!?!?!

Finished it up, threw it all back together, and booted up. I was like "this is gonna be sweet, I'm gonna get 5-8C less for sure". Started my tests, and here are the results:

BEFORE: (CPU Burn In | SuperPi)
Idle: 32
Core 0 Load: 39 | 43
Core 1 Load: 40 | 44
Core 0+1 Load: 48 | 47

AFTER: (CPU Burn In | SuperPi)
Idle: 30
Core 0 Load: 36 | 41
Core 1 Load: 38 | 42
Core 0+1 Load: 46 | 45

2C?!?!? Thats it?!?!? What'd I do wrong? And yes, I know the CPU sensor is wrong, but to top it all off, its STILL not stable at 2.7!!!

*deep breath*

Seriously guys, what did I do wrong here?

:bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

Couple of things- your HSF may not have been too bad to begin with. Also, the original temps are probably after the AS5 had set up and the new ones when it is fresh. Give it a few days and you'll probably see another drop.

CJ

LoneWolf121188 said:
what lube should I use for my IHS? water+$600 CPU =bad ;)

As usual I have to disagree. Once more, It is not water that kills electronics, its conductivity between two points, aka a short. That, and avoid getting water on a CPU core, but that’s not really a problem with a HIS’d cpu. You can also go with kerosene as a lubricant, I’m pretty sure. (iirc, Cather uses kerosene as a lubricant for lapping, but I’m not sure...)

Back