• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drnkenmonkey

Registered
My friend has a toshiba satellite A45 S250. I have just reformatted his computer and installed the necessary network drivers. However, the his internet connection still refuses to work. Packets are being sent and recieved. Any suggestions?

Basically this is how the college system works. We have to register our mac address on resnet in order to connect to the internet. This has previously been completed by my friend before he reformatted. I'm pretty sure the drivers are correct. I used the Quick recovery disk and looked at the available drivers online. I even used the "restore default programs" on the recovery disk. Thus, the drivers must be installed. An ip address was "unavailable", so there is no default gateway. However, everytime i click on IE, packets will be sent and recieved. I'm really confused, considering that i have reformatted 3 other computers here in college, including my own, all that worked fine.

o yea... thx for all the input, greatly appreciated! ^^

Well, you need an IP address. Sending/receiving packets may not matter in this case. Do you know if the network you're on uses DHCP, or requires fixed addresses? Do an ipconfig /all and see if everything looks normal. You'll have to find out why it isn't getting an address (if it is supposed to use DHCP).

Also, make sure when using the /all command, that you see the MAC listed for the adapter. It is possible that the drivers for the network adapter aren't working properly. I've seen several Realtek based network adapters that wouldn't work right when used with built-in XP drivers. When the latest drivers were installed, the MAC would show, and it would finally start talking.

-ben

you might want to try an "ipconfig /renew" from a command prompt window and see what error message you get if you don't get a new ip address. that could help determine the cause

Back