• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop upgrades

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imation

Registered
well ive just bought a laptop off a friend for a very fine price of 60$. its a compaq presario V2000 with a sempron 2800+ processor. its only got 256mb of ram and a 40 gig hard drive. im looking to upgrade everything i can on this laptop. any suggestions?

the first thing i'd upgrade would be the ram. 1gig is enough to do anything, even playing very old games. the 1gig would be very noticeable from the 256, its like a faster cpu

the hd is probably 4200rpm, which is very slow. upgrade to a 5200/7200 with at least 70 gigs

e6600 said:
the first thing i'd upgrade would be the ram. 1gig is enough to do anything, even playing very old games. the 1gig would be very noticeable from the 256, its like a faster cpu

the hd is probably 4200rpm, which is very slow. upgrade to a 5200/7200 with at least 70 gigs
I would do this, because its pretty much all you CAN upgrade on a laptop. Every now and then you get one where you can upgrade the cpu, but on most its stuck directly to the motherboard. I would also look into overclocking the vid card and getting a cooling mat.

im kinda strapped for cash... only can do 1 upgrade at a time so which should i get fist? HD or RAM?

What are you doing with the laptop? I found that my laptop RAN better with a gig of ram, but it LOADED way faster with the 7200 rpm hard drive, I was kind of annoyed after spending 70 bucks on ram (black friday deal couple years ago) that it wasnt really THAT much faster. But I also had 512 mb to start. I think theres a gig of SODIMM PC2700 in the classies that would work for ya, i didnt see the price, but it might be worth lookin at.

Ram first. The 40GB hdd will be good for now, unless you dont want to reinstall windows again when you get the new drive.

wow $60 thats bloody amazing!

You can upgrade CPUs in laptops too, It depends on the socket type. If its a socket A, the mobile socket A's are quite easy to come upon on ebay, but a 2800+ inst that bad at all, especialy for $60. you could get a 3000+ but that might run you a bit. I use a 2500+ SKT A in my desktop, its OCed to 2.1Ghz but its still not that terrible of a chip.

Does it have a DVD-RW? might want one of those if it doesnt.

Some of the new laptops you can upgrade video cards in such as the x1400 in my inspiron. I havent found any on the market yet though.

If its a socket a 2800 upgrading it isn't even worth considering, a few hundred mhz you'll only see when its plugged in and a slight increase in l2 cache won't do hardly anything for the performance. I went from a mobile 1800+ tbred to a mobile barton 2500+ and it didnt make nearly the difference the ram and 7200 rpm hard drive did. Video card upgrades require finding another laptop that uses the same form factor and interface and finding a used card out of a scrapped laptop, I don't think anyone other than the OEM maybe will sell you a new upgrade card. And you know how the OEMs are about laptop spare part pricing.

Last edited:
60 bucks for a laptop.. snif... snif...

I am crying for a laptop and here (Paraguay/S. America) people want to sell
their crappy 266mhz/10 years old lappys for over 200/300 bucks!

I would recomend RAM first... will let you work with more apps better...

Rgds,
Me.

Back