• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large problem; driver issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

I purchased a pny 7800gs agp a few months ago, and recently, I've noticed an enormous drop in performance. Average frame rate in FEAR went from 45ish to 10. Happens all applications, GTA: SA, dvd playback... I reloaded the drivers, and that fixed it, temporarily. I've tried different driver versions, rebooting the pc, and sometimes this fixes things, but sometimes not. Its really annoying! I've tried reloading the chipset driver, reloading directX.. nothing is working. Also, occasionally, XP hangs on bootup at the blue welcome screen. Please help!

Last edited:
InThrees said:
are you running fsb/mem overclocks? Have you tried going back to stock and seeing if that helps?
Use DriverCleaner to remove the old drivers...follow the directions.

I did use DC3, to no effect. I will try running my chip at stock, although this overclock has been stable for a over a year. Thanks

Even running at stock speeds doesn't help. I am wondering if I have a flaky vid card, motherboard, or if I need to re- install windows. Does anyone know the XP installation trick to re-write all the OS files instead of a normal install?

nightelph said:
Even running at stock speeds doesn't help. I am wondering if I have a flaky vid card, motherboard, or if I need to re- install windows. Does anyone know the XP installation trick to re-write all the OS files instead of a normal install?

Sure, you just let the boot cd load and when it gets to the main install screen you press "R" to repair (not recover) a windows installation. (On one screen R will open the recovery console, but on the next it will say R will repair a windows installation. That's what you want)

Thanks, I've done it before, but forgot.
I'm going to try putting my card in another computer for a bit, try to isolate known good components.

-THX

Help!! I did the psuedo reinstall of windows, that only replaces the system files. However, when the installation gets to "2 minutes remaining", it hangs there for ever, I let it go for a couple of hours. Help!!

nightelph said:
Help!! I did the psuedo reinstall of windows, that only replaces the system files. However, when the installation gets to "2 minutes remaining", it hangs there for ever, I let it go for a couple of hours. Help!!

Never do a repair of Windows, it almost never works.

I am sorry to say, you will have to do a complete reinstall, but that might fix your problems.

I picked up a new hdd on newegg, I'll reload xp on that, and copy my old files over. Thanks All.

Back