• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LD Phase Change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

Anyone know where the starter for the compressor goes on a Lil Devil phase change? Apparently mine was missing and that is why the compressor won't start. It looks like this. He's supposed to send me instructions.

1z20ppc.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like a startup cap.
This is more or less how it should be wired:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_X6JnoL0U4BY/S...TuYx05tis/tmp9C12_thumb4_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

How exactly your compressor does it is hard to say. I see spade terminals in the picture, it may be as simple as the compressor motor having four connections (five including earth). Live(Phase), Neutral, Startcap-1, Startcap-2.
If you're really lucky, they're obvious and/or labeled.

It goes across the run cap. Do make sure the run cap is good to begin with since most modern compressors are designed to be able to start with only a run cap. Adding a hard start across a bad (open) run cap will mask the problem by letting the compressor start, but the compressor won't last very long operating like that.

Lil Devil sent me the installation instructions. My system was completely missing the starting capacitor. Mine only has the box on the compressor and not the starting capacitor like the picture below.

esramt.jpg
[/IMG]

He did a great job getting me the part, plus the right size cables to start the computer and check the 12v rail (I have a BTX case and had cables that were only like a foot long), and extra fuses. From Slovenia to Florida in two days.

Well, still doesn't work. The last thing to try is a new controller before FrozenCPU gets this lemon back. If it's not the controller, it's the compressor. Can't say I don't have it hooked up incorrectly.

14wx7rl.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Is that a picture sent from them or a picture of yours?

Hopefully that is not yours. I can't imagine that they wouldn't put a cap over that schrader valve.

Finally got the compressor going. It had a bad controller. Now the system won't boot with an error 34. That means the CPU isn't making good contact with the pins or I bent some. Now I have to rip it all apart to check.

What stinks about Lil Devils' systems is the computer starts at -25c. Then he has some routine in the controller to check the 12v line, but there is only a two connector cable to check and he says to plug it into a fan connector or motherboard fan connector. That's kind of hard when fan connectors are 12v, 5v, ground and the cable is 12v and ground. If the connector doesn't sense the 12v line after 8 seconds, it turns the system off.

Sounds like a good thing to hotwire, to me. Got a spare PSU?
What I've done in the past with a Cryo-z is jumpstart a PSU and feed that to the phase change system instead of the signals from the target system.
Very nice if you're benching and the thing crashes. If you have to do a hard reset the Cryo-z shuts down for 10 minutes. Everything melts, and your day is over.

I figured a way to pass the 12v check. I had a three pin to molex fan adapter. The three pin 5v and 12v wires run to the 12v molex line and the ground wire is right next to it. It made it down to -49 c.

The pins and CPU look fine. It looks like maybe some art eraser may have been touching some pins. It's hard to tell after I took out the CPU. I was going to try the CPU on air, but I can't fit the cooler between the tubing for the motherboard block.

Back