• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lease your video cards by the month ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogbur22

I got an e-mail today about this and thought I would share it. It's called "Cutting Edge Gamer" Has anyone heard of this ? They also have a Facebook but only 2-300 "Likes"

Located in Austin Texas and founded in 2010

https://www.cuttingedgegamer.com/index.html

http://www.facebook.com/CuttingEdgeGamer

You lease your video cards by the month. I made an account but only to look around as I don't see myself leasing a card but hey...
Doing the math they make a couple hundred of each card taken to lease end.
The part Im not crazy about but I understand why is they can send you a new one or a "Previously Enjoyed" card. LMAO :D not used but enjoyed
Just wondering also if they offer insurance of any kind ? Be a nice way to get the cards and then beat the crap out of them overclocking to the limit, LOL

My main purpose was to see if anyone here has tried this or know someone who has. It's not a bad idea but there sure seems to me to be a lot of room for disapointment. Maybe Im wrong though :-/

Was just reading some of the Staff's facebook posts and it looks they are going to expand some more very soon.

Thanks for the recommendation - we are working on mobo/cpu combos (slated for 2013). We'll have to put monitors on our list as well to review!
October 30 at 10:24am · Like · 2

Heard of similar services before, but not this specific company. Better investment is to buy, upgrade to a better version, then sell your card before it depreciates. This takes the hassle out of finding a buyer and dealing with any potential problems, but financially, it isn't the best bet really.

Heard of similar services before, but not this specific company. Better investment is to buy, upgrade to a better version, then sell your card before it depreciates. This takes the hassle out of finding a buyer and dealing with any potential problems, but financially, it isn't the best bet really.

I agree, first thing I thought of was Rent A Center where you get a nice big screen tv for 40 bucks a week or similar. By the time you have the tv for 6 months you have given them 1k in rental moneys :screwy:

Now this doesn't appear to be that lop sided and im sure there are always specific situations where this would be a good way to go. AKA, no funds or your going to beat the stuffing out of it :D

Also EVGA has the upgrade option for like 90 days after you buy I think it is :thup:

I can see it also being useful to that person "Will video card A or B better for me? Well, I can rent 1 for X days and then rent the other and then decide" Especially if you're deciding between AMD or Nvidia.

12 month minimum lease, monthly payments that total the card MSRP plus ~10%.
Oh well, it was a nice concept.

Did you expect any difference Bob? The company isnt doing this to be nice to the end user, they are doing it to make money.

For people on tight budgets who cant get financing but can afford the low monthly payments, its an option though. Regardless, I dont think it will go over well. Youll have complete morons damaging cards. I could see this being more counter-productive for the company than productive especially if all they make is 10%/year per piece of equipment.

Assuming they are making 10%.. perhaps more, perhaps less. Depends on what they are getting the card for.

Six months from now, I predict a lot of these cards will show up on eBay. Wonder if they'll list the number of previous owners? ;)

Why would these have a propensity to show up on ebay more than any other card bought 'naturally' and not via 'the American way'?

The company will probably have less use for 6-month - 1-year old cards than the average consumer will. Excluding top-end junkies (;)), I would say most people hold on to their cards for a few years. I don't see this company being able to rent a card that's 1 year old, let alone two. They'll have to get rid of them someway.

Expect? No.
Hope? Yes :D
I hoped I could rent one for a week and LN2 it, really. Especially if it fell within their terms.

Assuming they are making 10%

10%? They want $54 * 12 ($648) for a GTX 680, that might not even be new. NewEgg offers the same model for $470. That's a bit more than 10% there. If you're just doing it to compare cards, and keep the card just one month, they'll hit you with a early-termination fee equal to two months, so that's $162 to to test a GTX 680 for one month. You could buy one brand new and resell it on eBay as "like new" pretty quick, and likely (if completed listings are anything to go by) get more than $308 (price difference between lease+early-termination for one month vs brand new price) for it.

10%? They want $54 * 12 ($648) for a GTX 680, that might not even be new. NewEgg offers the same model for $470. That's a bit more than 10% there. If you're just doing it to compare cards, and keep the card just one month, they'll hit you with a early-termination fee equal to two months, so that's $162 to to test a GTX 680 for one month. You could buy one brand new and resell it on eBay as "like new" pretty quick, and likely (if completed listings are anything to go by) get more than $308 (price difference between lease+early-termination for one month vs brand new price) for it.
Didnt do the math homey.. just used the # someone else tossed out. ;)

Back