• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaving rig on 24hours/folding/seti...worthwhile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

K, I used to leave my rig on and fold 24 hours a day....
My current setup consumes probably 350watts excluding monitor/speakers under full load, if that stays on 24 hours a day all year I spend:
$215 dollars to run the rig (that's at 7 cents/kWh...people in NY/Mass are around 10+)

Now since my computer is on about 12 hours a day and is usualy under very little load (we'll say 150watts no load)....take 24hour full load - my use = about 170.

So by not folding and shutting down I'm saving 170 dollars which could be donated to cancer research and probably do more good....not to mention the polution caused by producing those kWh.

So if you want to see how much you could save/are spending check this out:
http://www.coaleducation.org/Ky_Coal_Facts/electricity/average_cost.htm
find your computers power draw (from the AC line)
power draw * useage/day in hours * 365 / 1000 * kWh price (7 cents would be .07)

Just thought this was kind of surprising to see how much it really costs to run a computer and I question wether or not it's really worthwhile to fold....let alone seti.

yeah i have been thinking about this as well. but you might not want to let the folders get ahold you. they'll rip you apart ;)

Well I'm up in vancouver canada, so power is cheap and relativly clean (hydroelectric). How about this, everyone send me their computers and I will let them fold all day ;)

Back