• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

Can anyone tell me what voltage is sent out to the power and reset leds from the motherboard headers? 5v I assume? What about the resistance?

How fussy are these? If for example I was running an led with a different voltage or resistance could it damage the board or would it just take out the led?

Cheers

You know, that's a good question. I'll need to check this out as I don't really know.
I suspect that the current limiting resistor is on the motherboard, that's certainly how I would set it up.

To be completely honest I haven't got a clue how to set it up.

I'm using an old stereo as a computer case, now the power switch I hope is just a case of soldering the correct 2 parts on the board as I think it just closes the circuit right? Hence just bridging the switch and it works. Although thinking about it the switch I'm using has a standby and an on, so maybe that won't be so simple.

The led on the other hand thought I'd best check, intended on just soldering wires to the board, cutting off its trail on the pcb and hooking it straight into the pc, but then thought it could end in smoke.

Guess I need to get the voltmeter out and have a look, but the question is, if the cd players led is off par. Will it harm the board or just not work?

Cheers

From looking at the board I have in front of me, the current limiting resistors and such are on the motherboard. That means you can't really kill anything regardless of what LEDs you hook up. It also means that blue LEDs may be somewhat dim.

Back