• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG BD Rewriter not reading discs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danielbourdon

Registered
Late last year, I purchased a new LG Blu ray burner to go with my LG DVD Burner! It worked great for a few months, but in early march, it started making weird noises when i turned on my computer, and sometimes it would cause my computer to not boot at all until I open the tray on the the drive. Its been doing this for months, but now it won't read any discs at all! It just starts sputtering whenever I put a disc in the drive. I have already updated the firmware to the most recent version (March 2014), and the problem is still there. I am wondering if its an issue with my motherboard, or my bios, due to the fact that it was causing my computer to hang at the bios check when I start my PC. I have also updated my bios to the most recent version (September 2013), so now I am completely out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?
MY LG BLU RAY BURNER MODEL IS "WH14NS40"

LG requires the serial number for the drive! I plan on getting a new cooler for my CPU in a few weeks, so I will remove the drive and find the serial then!
Thanks for the help! If anyone thinks its a compatibility issue, and not a bad drive, then let me know! I really don't want to return a drive and have the same problem with the new one.

Yes! I do have another PC to test the drive with, but I don't feel like taking my computer apart until I get my new cooler! I plan on testing the drive in another PC, and if all fails, I will RMA the drive. I am not sure how long LG's warranty is, but if they don't replace it for free, then I am through with LG products.

I just installed my new cooler in my PC! After removing the blu ray drive and hooking it up to my laptop via USB, it worked flawlessly. A few months ago I switched the motherboard Sata connector for the disc drive. I think this is why its not working. I am hoping I can edit the registry, or the boot manager to fix this problem, but I have no idea how. Does anyone know how?

Most of the 990 chipsets use the last two Sata ports for optical drives. It is said that the two extra Sata ports usually provided by an add-in chipset will not work with optical drives but most of the time they do.
RGone...

I just reinstalled my OS using the blu ray drive, and the drive works great via the bios! But once I boot into windows 7, the drive won't read discs at all. The problem has to be windows, sofware, or driver related. There is only one driver that windows has for the optical drives, so I still have no idea why this drive won't work on my computer.

I am going to post on this issue one more time! I still haven't found a solution to this problem. My dvd burner thats in slot 2 of my case works fine, so the issue is obviously the Blu ray drive itself. I tried switching the sata cables for the drives to the last 2 connectors on the motherboard, but nothing changed. I even tried taking the dvd drive out to see if it was a compatibility issue with the 2 drives, but still no fix. The Blu Ray Drive still works great on other computers, and in my motherboards bios!
I'M NOT SURE THIS WILL HELP, BUT HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE DRIVES WITH MY PC

Attachments

• 2014-05-30 22.02.58.jpg
    2014-05-30 22.02.58.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
well the drive supports both BD and DVD, there may be an issue with the BD laser that reads the disc. as you said it installs windows 7 just fine, which is a DVD. you say the drive works fine in other pcs, but that doesnt tell me if you used DVD's or BD's that work fine in other pc's.

There is nothing wrong with the blu-ray drive! I am pretty sure it is a compatibility issue with my rig. I am trying to figure out what part of my PC is causing the problem.
My bios is MSI driver version 13.5 (09/17/2013)

I just checked amazon, and there is a newer model of the drive! My current drive doesn't show windows 8 support. My bios uses windows 8 configuration, so I am wondering if its a conflict with the windows 8 bios, and my windows 7 operating system. The new model I found on amazon is showing windows 8 support, so it should fix the problem. Thats if I am willing to spend another $65 for the new model.

i havent gone back to re-read the thread. have you updated the FW on the drive at all? might be a simple fix, though i have never heard of drives not being supported. drive is a drive, they have basic drivers for all cd/dvd/bd drives so they work out the box, no matter the os. if updating the fw on the current drive doesnt work, then buy a new one.

Back