• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Light in optical mice harmful to eyes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks a lot guys, I won't worry now when I accidentally catch an eyeful of the LED in my mouse.

Lifthanger said:
so what about my MX1000? How strong is it's laser and when (what mW) does it get harmful?

Just to keep the discussion going ;).

According to this review of the MX1000 by Extreme Tech, the laser in the MX1000 is not harmful. Here is a quote from the review:

"Note: According to a Logitech spokesperson, the laser has surpassed class 1 safety standards, so it should not be harmful to the human eye. He went on to say that a lot of time was spent, on the engineering side, to ensure that even if the laser were altered, it could not be made harmful."

class 1 means that the laser is less than 5 mw and is supposed to be able to be stared directly at for 30 minutes without damage, according to the government who sets up these regulations, this is the same government that says that there were only ~11,000 people injured in iraq and afganistan combined. So I personally don't make a habit of staring into lasers, but if you like believing government drivel :p...No seriously, don't do it, they don't know what the f*** they're talking about.

Back