• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lights, lights, and some fans...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drathozark

Registered
I'm looking to finish adding flash to my new CM Storm Stryker that I recently put under water. I want to add some accented lighting, but have yet to hear something good about UV cold cathodes. I don't want to spend more than $30-40 on lighting and the only UV lights I've found are the Logisys 4"-1' single or double cold cathodes.

Moving my research into LED strips, I discovered the wonderful BitFenix Alchemy strips that were 120-600mm... Then I discovered the prices for them. Looking deeper, I found the NZXT sleeved LED strips that are 1-2m long and sit with nice controls in an extra expansion slot. Those are on Amazon with free 2-day shipping for me, (thanks Amazon Prime!) and cost almost half as much for 6 times more length.

I don't need something that's a floodlight, but I don't want faded accents either. I'd like a middling amount of light that I can kind of trace around the side window in the case and under the edges of the motherboard. The NZXT seems to be exactly what I need but I've no idea how mounting it would work.

Additionally, the case came with white LED PWM fans for the front. I'd like to consider replacing them with a set of blue LED PWM fans of similar statistics. As far as I can tell, they're 1200RPM 17dBA but I have no idea what the specific model is.

Any opinions or other suggestions are appreciated for this final step of my favorite toy's upgrades.. You guys have been the greatest community I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with in the tech world. Offering direct help and advice while teaching at the same time from genuinely nice people isn't normally something you find on the interwebs.

I found a couple of decent articles/guides to reference regarding LEDs:

http://sewelldirect.com/articles/diy-led-strip-installation.aspx

http://www.casemodgod.com/ModGuides/MolexLEDs/psu_molex_led.htm

Haven't really had the urge to give them a whirl yet. Once you get set up and going, give us back some pix.

The only reason she hasn't been added in real pictures anywhere is because I'm not quite happy with how the cables turned out in the top three bays, (pump/res dual bay and a .. DVD drive...) Thanks for the links, I hadn't found anything solid in the form of guides/reviews yet.

Back