• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Limit of my FX 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

Hello again guys. I have been playing with my chip for a while now wanting to reach its limits. What worries me the most is that vcore as you can see from screenshot it peeks at 1.5v and while idle its at 1.45. What are your thoughts? Is it alright on air or should I reduce it back to 4.2-4.3 with less vcore. Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Its on medium I have to change it but on what value? It wasn't stable while playing games it would dip all the way to 1.4mhz. Should I get it to High or Normal Regular?

It is VRM throttling: put a 80/92mm fan blowing on the VRM section/heatsink. And disable APM in the BIOS. You should be good. Your temps are fine.

Edit: you should be good with [email protected]. As soon as you don't have BSOD/reboot, it means the overclock is stable. Give the VRM's some air ;) . I was running [email protected]/1.48v IIRC.

It is VRM throttling: put a 80/92mm fan blowing on the VRM section/heatsink. And disable APM in the BIOS. You should be good. Your temps are fine.

Edit: you should be good with [email protected]. As soon as you don't have BSOD/reboot, it means the overclock is stable. Give the VRM's some air ;) . I was running [email protected]/1.48v IIRC.

You are forgetting one thing not every chip is the same or the motherboard even if the same model...
Just tried with High LLC its more stable less drops temps gone up by few degree ofc.
EDIT: It seems to me it needs more vcore and Higher LLC if increased both its more stable. But as I said before at 4.4 as it was vcore is already high
I don't think its good idea to push it further.

Last edited:
You are forgetting one thing not every chip is the same or the motherboard even if the same model...
Just tried with High LLC its more stable less drops temps gone up by few degree ofc.
EDIT: It seems to me it needs more vcore and Higher LLC if increased both its more stable. But as I said before at 4.4 as it was vcore is already high
I don't think its good idea to push it further.

Tír na nÓg is correct about the throttling that's what the 1.4GHz indicates. First thing is to get some air on the VRM and on the back of the motherboard blowing on the CPU socket. This will solve one issue. Then you need to test LLC. The goal is to keep the BIOS set voltag and reported voltage under load as close as possible. If this means you need to raise the V_Core in BIOS to keep stability then do it. Have you disabled APM in BIOS. If not this will also cause some throttling

Everything power saving related is disabled or any similar option. I cant just keep increasing vcore when its already reaching 1.5v under load on 4.4 with FSB or only multy it brings same results. That "throttling" sometimes happen at random on boot up 4 cores get stuck at 1.4ghz even on 4.2 or any other OC, happens only in random intervals when I change things in BIOS or when I changed cpu cooler. Found kinda odd solution I just change any setting in bios save and exit get back to bios change back and the problem is gone...
How do you control vcore to come to closer values to one in BIOS thats what I want to know what option of LLC I should use?

Last edited:
You just have to experiment with the LLC and find that best combination that gives both stability and best temps. No one can tell you exactly what settings will work best with your particular combination of components. Every CPU will be a little different, even if we are talking about the same model.

You seem to be ignoring the advice from Tir na nOg and Johan45 about putting fans on the VRM and underside of the socket. That will help more than anything.

How do you control vcore to come to closer values to one in BIOS thats what I want to know what option of LLC I should use?

Really depends on the board/brand but for me one step below max on Gigabyte or 5 on Asus always worked best. Your motherboard also has no passive heatsink over the VRM section, which makes it worse. As a quick fix if you don't have any extra fans lying around you can use the one from the original cooler that came with the 6300 (loud when/if it revs up but i saw a ~20c difference on my old system).

IMG_1904.jpg

Interesting that in almost every thread i ever read about 6300 they're bad overclockers ?

Last edited:
You just have to experiment with the LLC and find that best combination that gives both stability and best temps. No one can tell you exactly what settings will work best with your particular combination of components. Every CPU will be a little different, even if we are talking about the same model.

You seem to be ignoring the advice from Tir na nOg and Johan45 about putting fans on the VRM and underside of the socket. That will help more than anything.

I am not ignoring their suggestions I cant do that right now because I gave stock cooler to a friend, plus I would have to redirect cpu cooler and hope that anything will fit since case is bit claustrophobic. The only thing that I can rly do is to redirect top fan to blow down to the cpu socket and cooler.

I don't say its bad for OC I just think I cant get it much further, temperatures are not the problem right now high Vcore is those drops can be solved with higher vcore but I am not very happy to increase it above 1.45 due jumps

Edit: With LLC on Normal jumps are not that high neither temperatures any other setting spikes vcore even more then on Normal or Medium. Idk is that saying anything

Last edited:
But the temps we're talking about are not the ones a CPU cooler will have much effect on. We are talking about motherboard components.

His board has a decent sized heatsink on the fets if it is the Gigabyte GA-990X-Gaming SLI. The board is functionally a UD3.

5cc5_5.png

You call that weird black thing sticking out a heatsink ? looks like something a child would add because it "looks cool" :rofl: regardless, that it can't handle a 6300 at low OC speaks volumes about it's overclocking capabilities. OP has 2 choices at the moment, fan over the VRM's or get a new decent board if he is going to stick with this build and wants to overclock further.

https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/gigabyte_ga_990x_gaming_sli_review,15.html - Not quite optimal for overclockers

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...-am3-ddr3-motherboard-mb-547-gi.html#comments - Whilst belting along on a pretty hefty OC, the heatsinks for the Mosfets get extremely hot. To the point that the cpu starts throttling back to around 1ghz while stress testing. Causing a fluctuation in fan speed and cpu load. I took the stock fan from the FX6300 retail heatsink and placed it over the heatsink supporting the cpu's power. Its running 100% atm but i need to extend the wiring so it reaches my system fan header.

Then I don't know how I can get to 4.2-4.3 without much of the problem. As I said and I will say it again vcore is problem not the temperatures, board is asking for too much of the power draw and that is what worries me. If I was a bloody idiot I could force it to 4.5 on 1.5v that will spike over that and cause problems

I think that you might find that you can run a lower vcore once you get the temperatures under control on the components that they are mentioning. Your best bet would be to at least try what they are telling you, and start creeping voltage down after. I am willing to bet that you will see that you are able to run lower vcore once you get the VRM temperature dropped down.

And for what its worth, the folks in this thread that are trying to help you, appear to have been around a while ;) I have been browsing the forum a lot here since joining, and time after time they offer solid, respectable advise. I would probably give it a shot.

I will give it a shot sure. Just one fast question though to avoid "custom fan installation". Can I just simply redirect top fan to blow on to socket instead out of the case would that help? Also I still have one free space on the top without any fans I would put that one to blow air out. Is that good idea at all?

EDIT: So this is what I will try in next few days. Redirect Cpu cooler so I can get to VRM-s and actually screw into existing heatsink some kind of 80mm fan. One problem though all of the cables are short when it comes to ****y 80mm fans the last header thats left unused is too far away on motherboard 4 pin like of cpu fan. Now the question is will it work same as CPU_FAN header if I plug it in, in case that 80mm I am planing to get have short cable?

Last edited:

Shops here are absolute **** you have to wait a week for such things :S. I only have those that came with case fans I think they are all 3pin. What will happen if I plug cpu fan to another 4pin header? Will the fan rev up on need or it will just stay passive? If anything else I will just order one if this cable is too short or I cant find way around

Last edited:
UPDATE: Well it failed since I can only rotate cpu cooler up or down (which I have forgotten THE Genius) I wasn't able to fit additional stock cooler no meater how I turned it. Even mostly on the side cpu cooler would be in the way. Tnx on help guys anyway. Look at the space I actually have xD IMG_20170316_193700.jpg

Just for the sake of devils advocacy, take a look at the image from post 9 again. You see how the fan is secured to the cooler fan with a zip tie on the bottom? I wonder something like that is possible from the top of your cooler fans? Its a coin toss as to whether the flow from a fan hooked there would get expelled from the exhaust fan before it reaches the VRM sink, but short of buying another smaller fan....

Is there any possibility of mounting a fan behind the socket of the mobo? Not sure if that has been mentioned in this particular thread but I see it recommended quite often for the FX lineup. Even if you cant strap one to the VRM, you might see some gain from the socket

Back