• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lindows as file server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ugmore Baggage

I'm seriously considering this
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...944&path=0:3944:3951:41937:86796:106562:96356
as a server. Basically I'd add a significant (60GB at first) hard drive, network it (integrated), and never actually look at it again.

But will Lindows recognise most harddrives? Does anyone know size limits? Do I need a special utility to format it or is that included in Lindows?

PS I really don't care at all about other aspects of Lindows, just how it works in relation to storage.

Lindows should be able to see and format the drive fine. You'll probably be limited to 1 or 2gb files.

if you buy it then do yourself a favor and install Redhat instead (or more compact distros like Gentoo or Debian). It shouldn't have any problems detecting the hard drives (just make sure they're not formatted as NTFS)

Its a limitation of the kernel. Or used to be. There have been patches to fix it, but I haven't looked into it so I don't know if those patches have been brought into the official kernel now or what.

Try to make a file >2gb and read it. See what happens.

No such limits, use a newer journaling filesystem like xfs or jfs.
Also use a real distro like redhat or mandrake (both good for beginners).

I use a similar setup myself.

n2d2 said:
No such limits, use a newer journaling filesystem like xfs or jfs.
Also use a real distro like redhat or mandrake (both good for beginners).

I use a similar setup myself.

I was under the impression it was a kernel limit, unable to open >1gb or 2gb files.

I've got a couple on an ntfs partition, can't open them. I've read about it in the past, but never had to deal with it except on that one ntfs partition so it wasn't a big issue for me.

XWRed1 said:

I was under the impression it was a kernel limit, unable to open >1gb or 2gb files.

I just created, opened, and deleted a 2.5 GB file on an ext3 partition, so it isn't a kernel limit. It could be a limit of an individual program (nedit didn't like my 2.5 GB file), or it could be a limit of the Linux NTFS support.

Carnil said:

I just created, opened, and deleted a 2.5 GB file on an ext3 partition, so it isn't a kernel limit. It could be a limit of an individual program (nedit didn't like my 2.5 GB file), or it could be a limit of the Linux NTFS support.

Nedit didn't like the file? What did you use to open it? I just made a 1gb file here and vim seems to be spinning at 100% cpu trying to open it.

I guess thats a vim problem though. Cat read through it all just fine. Did a little bit of research, apparently this limit did exist in 2.2 but was fixed in 2.4.

I used cat. I figured that was the program least likely to try loading the file into memory, and least likely to have an internal size limit.

Back