• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux File Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Immortal_Hero

I am looking to build a Linux file server. It'll mostly just be for storage and a media server. I may also set up an e-mail server on it. Am I better off building or picking up an already built box? I would like to be RAID 5 capable. Any suggestions on hardware if I build? I have been out of the loop for a long time...

I actually recently built about the same thing.

I would always recommend building it yourself as it is typically cheaper - assuming your not just doing a 1u server with a p4 and some scuzzies, as you can pick those up cheap on ebay.

Everything will depend on price. I have almost $2000 into mine, but also have 13HDDs (33TB of storage) with a dedicated RAID card, etc..

IMO the mail server is the hardest part to do. But if you do not plan on hosting multiple sites, then it will probably be relatively easy.

You don't need anything fancy, grab a cheap combo of some older gear that supports ECC RAM.

I'm going to work on the assumption that you're going to build a desktop and run it as a fileserver, not a rackmount type server with redundant PSUs, server grade hardware, etc.

The biggest difference between getting an out of the box option and a DIY option is going to be the number of drives you plan on using. Since you're planning on RAID 5, it's going to be tough to find an off the shelf desktop that supports more than 3 or 4 drives in the case. If you want something with much more storage, then you'll want to build it yourself (including a case to accommodate how many ever drives you want).

Of course, if you're thinking of buying an off the shelf server and not repurposing a desktop, then this really doesn't apply.

Back