• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid metal fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FleshEating Bob

Does anyone know how I could get my case fans to have a perfectly mirrored finish, so they look like liquid metal when they're spinning? I tried silver spray paint already, it's just not reflective enough.

I meant BESIDES buying already mirrored fans. That's the easy way out. A DIY mod is more fun, even if a premade solution can be bought that looks better

Design some yourself and have them CNC'd, or just cover yours in aluminum foil:D Seriouly I don't know of something that can be applyed to plastic that would be that reflective and smooth.

I would sand your silver-sprayed fan down (v.fine grit.. like lapping). apply another coat, lap it again- then rub with some compound.

There's a page that describes the technique somewhere (i'll have a quick look) but its for a case- but i'm sure it can be applied to fan blades, just takes a bit of adapting.

A set of smooth, shiny fan blades will make a better looking effect
(faster speed too- whats your fan's RPM?)

{EDIT} Found Linky

Last edited:
i was watching some thing on t.v. it had nothing to do with mod's computer or overclockiong haha anyways its the plastic mirror stuff, it stretches once its head so you heat it up then attach it to whatever you applying it to, heat it up some more, pull it tight and thats it. it looks like a mirror too :)

Try applying multiple layers of silver paint, sanding between each layer, and polishing them to a smooth finish in the end. That might do the joby

Back