• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lite OC need Advice, P4 3.0E or A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huonglant

Registered
Hi everbody,

I already have a P4 2.4C running at 3.0 but thinking about building another one, this time I just want a litle faster cpu than my current one so I wonder what CPU I should get.

I'm a litle confused with the new 3.0E and 3.0A CPU and wonder if I could get to 3.4G with a new P4 3.0E or a 3.0A, what about 3.0C?

I don't want any heavy duty OC, because to tell you the truth, IMHO, I think no matter how much money I spent on pushing the CPU, if it can't go any higher then it can't, so I just want to use the stock Heatsink and pump the CPU to 3.2-3.4G with default eveything.

As for a mainboard, I've been looking at the Asus P4P800-VM P4 with video/snd Motherboard ( I tried Abit ISM-7 already) so any suggestions for a different board with video will be great.

Thanks.

A= 533, E = 800 Prescott, C = 800 Northwood

Think you could do 26mhz more FSB? If so, get the E or C version. That'll give you 3.4ghz.

I think that I would get the Northwood. But that's just me.

eww why do you want onboard video? what are you going to be using with system for?

I don't do any heavy games or video, typically, I just capture video and enjoy movie, music on my PC, I just want to enjoy a litle more speed from the CPU without experiencing too much effort and instability (spent $35 more for a H/S & fans, $150 for faster DDR, better case and fans cooling but if I got a bad CPU then it won't go any faster, just blue screen from time to time, *sigh). That why I just want to sit back and do just a litle OC just for fun (life is boring with a system with just default speed ):

I like the Nvidia fx5200 but either the onboard nvidia or Intel Extreeme 2 works just fine for me.

Thx.

if you want to overclock, don't get the Asus P4P800-VM motherboard. I have it and there are no overclock options.

TomCat

your sl6z3 won't do more than 3.1?? that is by far the poorest oc i've seen on one of those, and 1.6v no less.

have you tried getting MORE out of your current chip? my sl6z3 does 3.5+, i bet you could get at least 3.3 out of it.

if all you do is capture video and listen to music, i HIGHLY doubt you will see any diff going from a 2.4c at 3.3 to a 3.0c at 3.75

*edit* just noticed you said you were thinking about building "another one". disregard the bulk of my post, but i still think you could get more out of that 2.4c ;)

Back