• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Live Benching - Get Your Session on the Front Page!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd dunk the sticks in Vaseline just to make sure they're well coated internally.
Good luck RMAing afterwards, but what you got back probably wouldn't be the same anyway.

I sealed off the PCB and shot some melted vaseline under the heatspreader edges with a syringe. There isn't complete vaseline coverage under the heatspreader, but there is no air getting in or out at least.

Probably not tonight, unless I go for the LN2 tinfoil boat... First time running the RAMs, so I should probably get familiar with them before getting too crazy. I did apply vaseline everywhere over, under, and around the ram slots just in case.

you guys use vaseline instead of dielectric grease because its cheaper?

Cheap and possible to remove (mostly).
Dialectic grease is pretty permanent.

Matt, what were your results from last night. I noticed you found a cb/cbb but what speeds and benches were ran?

Matt, what were your results from last night. I noticed you found a cb/cbb but what speeds and benches were ran?

I think he posted about it in the IB results thread. I don't think much was accomplished (I think he got up to 4.8ghz) and needs to get some tweaking done to get it to do more.

IIRC his CBB was around -75 and CB was -120.

Check out the ivy result and issue thread for more details.

Ya, I got to 4.8GHz but didn't try to go further really... I was focussing on bclk, CPU vCORE, and CPU PLL to try to alleviate the cold bug. If I can't get past the cold limits, it isn't worth running.

CBB was at -75C, CB was at -108C. I only tried CPU PLL between 1.8-1.85V, and only did bclk between 105-107MHz. I tried wpriming and similar things to get the CPU/board as warm as possible while I pulled down temps, but it had no effect on CB/CBB.

Next attempt, when I find time, I will be trying bclk up to 115MHz or more, and CPU PLL between 1.65 and 1.95. Between these changes, I should be able to find something that changes where the cold bugs hit at.

Everything else is set properly for LN2, and CPU vcore appeared to make no difference with coldbugs - I tried vcore from 1.0V to 1.7V.

If the cold bug doesn't go away, I'll be selling the chip and going back to microcenter for another try. I think its just a matter of finding the right settings, but my first impression of IB was not what I expected from what I've heard. It is certainly not like PHII... Almost impossible to get those chips to cold bug, and you have to really apply some tricks to get around the cold bugs on IB.

was at MC in Dallas today and they said they had 170+ 3570 in their store. Didnt get one, as not sure if it is worth the upgrade at this time with me not being able to go ln2.

was at MC in Dallas today and they said they had 170+ 3570 in their store. Didnt get one, as not sure if it is worth the upgrade at this time with me not being able to go ln2.

Definitely not if you have an SB that can do 5.4+ I would say (as that can be done under water with little to worry about)

Back