• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LLC Has 1 Setting (Super Extreme?) workaround?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hicksimus

Yes, I know bad me for buying a cheap board(ASUS M5A97). Now on to the topic.

My cheap Phenom II 1045T build has hit a little OC issue. I'm getting about .06v vdroop which is turning into the difference between 3.8Ghz fully stable and 3.8Ghz mostly stable. This ASUS M5A97 has an LLC option but it ramps up voltage far too much to be practical. Though as a member of these forums when I saw my voltage way up over 1.6V I totally restarted and found at least a temporarily workable OC at that voltage.

If I'm not to exceed 1.55v with LLC on I need to go with a base Vcore under 1.49v and cannot POST. If I up Vcore to 1.5v I can post but LLC will push load voltage too high. But if I don't use LLC I'll need to use 1.57-1.58v for full stability and would rather not hang around over 1.55v all day.

Any suggestions on how I may get it to POST with LLC and still run a completely stable voltage? Currently thinking of using LLC and low clocks to POST then using software to overclock but I've never gone that route before so am I :screwy: ?

Yeah, I have that same motherboard and the lack of detailed options with the LLC was disappointing. Pretty good mid range board when all else is considered, though. I have my CPU LLC enabled but the CPUNB LLC disabled. CPUNB is manually set to 1.2v and running at 2600 mhz with HT Link at 2400. I am running the X4 960T at 4.1 with 1.475 vcore in bios. The LLC takes it up to 1.56v in Windows under load according to HWMonitor. When not under load HWMonitor tells me the CPU vcore is 1.50. There is no work around for the LLC issue that I know of.

Thanks for the input. It didn't end up being a voltage limitation anyway. Just to clarify, I was referring to it as a cheap board so that people would understand that I'm not expecting $175 board features from an $82cad board. Other than the lack of nice LLC options I really like this mobo it offers a load of value for the money.

That being said. I ended up going with a rock solid 3.65Ghz and just recently decided to play around with turbo settings and I am getting great 6-core performance with a 30% jump in single core performance over both my 4.5Ghz FX-6100 and my non-turbo 3.65Ghz 1045T.

Best $210 I've spent on a computer in the last 5 years. :thup:

Wow, thanks for bringing this to attention. I completely overlooked this myself, the Pro and EVO versions have adjustable Load-Line Calibration.

LLC is a pita and I don't know why the board manufacturers have gone with it, for one its pretty dangerous to amateurs and its just another option in the bios that's not needed, if I set vcore to 1.5 in the bios that's what I want not 1.5 then 1.6 under load, and all boards LLCs are different making it hard to judge what setting to use :mad:

I disagree, Mark.The purpose of LLC is to allow you to get by with less voltage when not loading the computer and when implemented and calibrated correctly should extend the life of the system. You don't need the same amount of voltage to be stable when the computer is idling or doing lite tasks as when you are stressing it heavily.

LLC was made to prevent vdroop. A byproduct of that function is the ability to potentially use less voltage at idle.

I disagree, Mark.The purpose of LLC is to allow you to get by with less voltage when not loading the computer and when implemented and calibrated correctly should extend the life of the system. You don't need the same amount of voltage to be stable when the computer is idling or doing lite tasks as when you are stressing it heavily.
CnQ was implemented for that reason, that's why I don't understand why LLC was introduced, and LLC is primarily used when overclocking the system and I know I don't want my vcore ramping all over the place when I'm pushing the system, if you want the vcore dropping when idle just use CnQ :shrug:

LLC was made to prevent vdroop. A byproduct of that function is the ability to potentially use less voltage at idle.
I agree with you, but make the board right to start off with and you won't get vdroop !!! Some boards get droop and others get none, time for the slackers of the industry to step it up :D

When a board is made right you have vdroop!
I don't think you understand why vdroop exists, it is supposed to exist.

All boards have vdroop or they don't get marketed, as simple as that...the boards with LLC do not have vdroop, but boards without will all have vdroop, I promise.

As far as intel/AMD specification goes, vdroop is a standard to be followed and is supposed to happen.

What is the benefit of the droop :shrug:

When you clock it up the last thing you want us the vcore dropping out under load and crashing the system, I'm lost on this one !

Not sure technically, but it is part of the Intel spec, that I know.

EDIT: I googled and found a link for ya: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2404/5

If you've ever overclocked a system, chances are that at some point or another you've had opportunity to become upset with your Vdroop "problem." Some users, confused as to why their system refuses to exactly match actual processor supply voltage to the value specified in BIOS, are quick to blame the quality their motherboard; still others find fault with the difference noted between their board's idle and full-load processor supply voltages. Actually, load line droop (Vdroop) is an inherent part of any Intel power delivery design specification and serves an important role in maintaining system stability. In most cases, comments regarding unacceptable power delivery performance are completely unfounded. To make matters worse, unjustified negative consumer perception surrounding this often misunderstood design feature eventually forced a few motherboard manufacturers to respond to enthusiasts' demands for action by adding an option in their BIOS that effectively disables this important function.

Perhaps its on the AMD side, I dont have much modern experience there, but all it does on the Intel side, since most boards have 'levels', is simply prevent the droop. Occasionally you have vraise, but otherwise, it just helps keep what you set in the bios as your load voltage. I dont see any more harm in this as compared with vcore. LLC by itself wont kill your PC but vcore will.

Now and again you see people dropping in and they set a certain vcore thinking that's the max the system will give only to find it gets a lot higher under load, which is a bit if a worry as new guys are usually hell bent on getting a max clock and read that a certain voltage is the max recommended and put that straight in and see how far they can go on that, only to find there pushing more than that max vcore once there loaded up. I've learned stuff today already and I've only been out of bed a half hour, today's going to be a good day, thanks guys for putting me straight on this, I don't mind if I'm wrong as long as someone lets me know before I make a complete arse of myself :eek: which I regularly do lol

Back