• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LN2 Loss Calculator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cold.nut

hey guys :salute:

i am trying to calculate my LN2 loss. i am working on gathering data as to how much LN2 i am losing per week/day. my initial dewar weight was 28lbs.. full dewar weighed 78lbs.. i used 10lbs. of LN2 at a school chemistry laboratory, however i am going to start calculating data from today until mid next week. i am going to gather the weight of the dewar each day.

what i need some help with is the calculations though.. the mass of LN2 is 0.807g/mL. i tried to figure some basic calculations tonight, but i couldn't figure it out :shrug:. weird for a chemistry student.. :confused:

help is appreciated!

cold.nut

It totally depends on your dewar and it's vacuum's condition.
There is no way to calculate it.

Just gather the weight each day, like you said, then calculate how many lbs a liter of LN2 weighs. That will give you how many L you lose per day.

EDIT: You would have to do this a a "per dewar" basis, as Bobnova said, it all depends on the dewar.

Just gather the weight each day, like you said, then calculate how many lbs a liter of LN2 weighs. That will give you how many L you lose per day.

EDIT: You would have to do this a a "per dewar" basis, as Bobnova said, it all depends on the dewar.

perfect, i way over thought that :bang head!

78lbs full dewar - 28lbs empty dewar = 50lbs net weight of LN2

50lbs LN2/ 30L = 1.67lbs LN2/ L

therefor i currently have 68lbs total dewar - 28lbs empty dewar= 40lbs net LN2

40lbs LN2/ 1.67lbs LN2/ L = ~24L LN2

thank you Matt :thup: & Bob!

I would think that keeping your reward at a constant temperature would effect your results also.

Back