• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loading windows onto a HDD from another computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vinaell

Registered
Im wondering if its possible to put windows 7 onto a blank hard drive using another computer. I took the HDD out of a laptop and i have it connected to my desktop im wondering if i can load windows 7 on to it and just plug it into my laptop ready to go?

yeah take out your hard drive and load windows 7 on the blank drive as if it was a new computer then remove the drive ^_^

We can get away with that sometimes but the more different the motherboard chipsets are - the more problems there would be.

Similar/same motehrboard chipsets should go through without a problem but chipsets vastly different like Laptop/Desktop - even if it goes through, there would always be the question of stability.

And it's illegal if you leave the WIN OS on both without paying the piper. Unless you're using Linux. Might want to give one of those distros a try. :D

he probably has 2 windows keys or he is trying to use the windows disc that came with his desktop

replace the hard drive, install, when it reboots during the setup hold the power button to turn it off (this is when you put it back in your laptop)

after it reboots it configures the drivers and stuff

good catch kris

ok for thread starter here is how you do it

1. take HD out of laptop
2. take HD out of de3sktop
3. put laptop HD in desktop
4. insert windows disk and install windows
5. when installer does the reboot dont let the computer restart just switch it off
6. put HD back in laptop
7. replace desktop hard drive
8. boot laptop and finish installation

Back