• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at mobo options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

Hey folks,

Looking to upgrade my rig and use the leftovers to build the kiddos a computer for xmas. Currently have the rig in sig below with some minor changes here and there, but looking at getting a 3800XT cpu, and OCing it (maybe, probably, I mean hell, I do have a custom loop shoehorned into this case after all) and looking for a solid mobo to add to this purchase. RAM is some corsair 3200 xmp stuff, not the greatest ram in the world, but only looking at running it at the rated speed. Looking for x570 chipset, and was considering the Prime x570-P but didn't know what my options were. Normally only run Asus, but at the same time, I havent tried much else in the last decade plus. Don't want or need wifi built in, only need one RGB header, currently have one M.2 pci-e ssd, and a single 5700XT gpu. Going to grab a new power supply as well, probably 750sih W range (maybe a bit lower). Any recommendations?

Why X570? Do you plan on using the more PCIe lanes (multiple M.2 modules and several SATA ports)? If you're only going with 2 M.2s and maybe a couple of SATA drives, you can save some cash on B550. :)

Why X570? Do you plan on using the more PCIe lanes (multiple M.2 modules and several SATA ports)? If you're only going with 2 M.2s and maybe a couple of SATA drives, you can save some cash on B550. :)

Couple reasons: I wouldn’t be opposed to buying another M.2 drive, and the hardware quality is going to be higher on the x570 series (Generally). Wouldn’t mind pushing the board a bit with my 2x140 custom loop, and not planning on getting rid of the Mobo for a while. I upgrade maybe once every 3+ years on the low end, so aiming for the best quality hardware out the gate is usually what I go for.

I’m pretty sure I don’t need extreme OC support (crosshair series boards) but I’d prefer the most robust board I can get. So I guess I’m more of a fan of the “buy once, cry once” mentality.

1. As I said, you can still use two in B550 (you'll lose a sata port, likely).
2. Any quality B550 board will handle Zen2 flagship with some overclocking. The reason why B550 exists is in part due to the upgraded hardware/power delivery. You get almost everything X570 offers at a cheaper price. The quality is there on a quality board. :thup:

I hear ya, but the reasons you listed don't scream X570 to me. :)

Been using Gigabyte boards (and asus, evga) since the core 2 days and have never had an issue with one. Did the same with my Ryzen build and so far it's been great.

Once I get a new cooler and decide to OC we'll see what it can really do, not that I expect any thing huge, but it'll be fun to play around.

Earthdog got to witness firsthand some catastrophic gigabyte failure when some VRMs suddenly exploded and burned a hole (3 of them actually) through the board. This was during some serious abuse, and no fault of gigabyte. LN2 and crazy high volts to absurd things to sensitive electronics.

The only problem which I see in new Gigabyte motherboards is that they release many models ... too many to later handle support well and they often skip some models which require BIOS updates. Some mobos got required BIOS updates with 3-4 months of delay. There are some weird situations when they rather release a new PCB revision than try to fix issues that can be firmware related. But these are single cases and usually there are no problems. Especially all new series (intel and amd) have much better memory support which was a problem in last 2 generations.

ASUS seems solid in these new series. No problems with all their mobos that I had. Some overpriced but generally no problems. My best AMD mobos are actually Crosshair VIII Impact and Strix B550-I Gaming. Even though B550 supposed to be cheaper then is a bit better for overclocking on ambient temps. B550 chipset also heats up less.
I also had no problems with ASRock. Their B550 mobos are pretty good and support high memory clocks out of the box, without special tweaking. They went the easy way with some power designs on some models (mostly Intel) but still handle much more than required.
MSI has some nice mobos nowadays and less expensive. Pretty much everything is good from new series, just matter of additional controllers etc.

Back