• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new case...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
My case is a mid tower but it seems a bit small and is restricting the air flow a bit, which is probably why I can't go past 2.9GHz stable. So I've been looking into larger cases and these sticks out as being much bigger with big fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811215006 has 250mm on front and monster 360 (over 14 inches) on the side.

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144205 has only 120mm fans but there are 2 rear 120mm that I can probably replace with a pair of Delta 220CFM fans if the space permits. (or mount them on outside!)

Fan noise will not be an issue with me being deaf. If I could I would hook up a shop vac with the vac hooked into the back and just suck in the 1000 cfm range but it's also expensive to run 24/7 with all those current it needs.

Any other suggestion? I'm still waiting on the free money Gov't issued

IMO I would try and find a case with the psu housing on the lower instead of upper...

Seems that would overall help cooling.

I went through Newegg's once again and after some 100 full tower cases I checked, it seems Newegg only carries cases with top mounted power supply. Maybe I should flip whatever case I get upside down? :D

Can you suggest a source of cases that do have bottom mounted power supply?

coolmaster and Lian-Li are 2 of the makers I know of there kinda high $ tho. Also the coolmaster I think is sometimes on sale at frys if you have one by you.

there is a few others but not 100% sure on the makers..

I need to make a side note on the large fans. They say they are rated for really high CFM, and that is true with no restriction. They put them behind grills for finger guards and the CFM rating dips into the 10-30 cfm (if that). They basically have no pressure at all, you would be much better off replacing them with 4 120mm fans (or whatever would fit).

If your not to far from a Bestbuy, You could check and see if they have the Rocketfish/Lian Li cases available, Bottom mounted PSU, And not too bad on the cooling if you change out the stock 120's.

Best buy will have to wait, the nearest one is about 50 miles away and that is $16 in gas for round trip just to see what they got. Maybe I'll head to Flint, they do have 2 other computer shops that carries cases that I can actually touch and look in.

I've checked Newegg, nearly all mid and full size cases by Cool Master and Lian Li are over $200. I did find one that was under $200 and slightly bigger than my current case but the 20 or so reviews gave that Cool Master case a thumb down because it wasn't good for OC'ing and got too hot too easily.

Case size doesnt always matter in my opinion.
My current case is Antec mini p180, slightly smaller than a mid tower.
I am running a Matx board with the e8400 chip at 4ghz idle at 28 degrees celcius
I did take out the 2 HD bays and put 2 NF-P12 noctua fans there, it has a 200 mm blow hole at top and 120 mm exhaust, thats all the fans i have, running all on high and i can't even hear my computer, I sit less than 2 ft from it, Airflow is really important, size of case really doesn't matter in alot of situations.

Best buy will have to wait, the nearest one is about 50 miles away and that is $16 in gas for round trip just to see what they got. Maybe I'll head to Flint, they do have 2 other computer shops that carries cases that I can actually touch and look in.

I've checked Newegg, nearly all mid and full size cases by Cool Master and Lian Li are over $200. I did find one that was under $200 and slightly bigger than my current case but the 20 or so reviews gave that Cool Master case a thumb down because it wasn't good for OC'ing and got too hot too easily.

Do you own a phone? Use the store locator and call bestbuy, you can even ask their prices and the prices of other bestbuys in the area.

If you want airflow, the CoolerMaster 690 is deff your case, the whole thing is practically a vent being made up mostly of mesh on the front and top. It also comes with 3 120mm fans and you can stick up to 7 140mm fans in it ;) The case is also very professional-looking, not too flashy and is very well built. I just ordered one 2 days ago and it got here yesterday, pretty awesome. :cool:

Back