• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you have fans on your rads other than the two in front, or is there just enough passive cooling?

Yes, I cut the inside of the front bezel out so I could mount them there pushing. Stock they don't fit because of the tabs that hold the filter screen in but after cutting them off the fans fit perfect. I thought I had a picture of it but I guess not.

The two fans you see are actually connected to the itx board on the bottom when it runs. The rest of the fans are connected to the main board up top.

Would that be enough to cool an overclocked 12700k? Because I was kind of thinking of going back to air cooling.

Would that be enough to cool an overclocked 12700k? Because I was kind of thinking of going back to air cooling.
It is every bit as good as a D15, if not better. It can handle my 5900X @ 240w. That is the absolute most power the socket will give me while using PBO. But I have seen 260w+ manually.

What's every bit as good as a D15? You lost me.
It means it is as good, or better than a D15. I am leaning towards slightly better. But to be fair D15 has been around forever, and the only thing updated was its looks, they have not retuned for the new generations of CPUs that are much different than what we had when the cooler originally came out.

Something from less standard cases - https://www.jonsplus.com/products/i400-sg.html
But as I remember it was hard to get in the US.

I just ordered one of those. I’ve not been paying attention to case design for years and just got one Fractal Define case after another for years. The Jonsplus got me a bit excited in terms of not just aesthetics (silver all metal version) but implementation of new concepts and layouts which actually work. It just seems like a really well designed and built case.

Truthfully I wasn’t intending to build a new PC but this one got me excited enough to put together a new system. Will be my first Intel based system since I last had a Pentium 100 back in the 90’s and beige was all the rage back then. ;)

This case looks a bit like a trash can, but in a good way. It’ll be my first build with a 360 AIO cooler rather than my usual 240.

You will be surprised how well are these cases made. They have also great airflow bottom to top. Noctua recommends some of their cases for their passive CPU cooler. The only problem is that most their cases are designed for air cooling or a single AIO, and it's hard to install any larger custom water loop. Most have also covered internals or have dark glass panels, so they're not the best if you want to see components inside.
I like their high quality and clean exterior design. I guess that i400 has actually complicated internal design, the same as i100. I mean, there are multiple parts, brackets and other things that fit perfectly. The price is very reasonable for what we get, at least compared to all other brands.
Ah, one more thing. I guess they still don't have PCIe 4.0 risers in retail cases. It supposed to be added, but it takes time from production to store availability.

You will be surprised how well are these cases made. They have also great airflow bottom to top. Noctua recommends some of their cases for their passive CPU cooler. The only problem is that most their cases are designed for air cooling or a single AIO, and it's hard to install any larger custom water loop. Most have also covered internals or have dark glass panels, so they're not the best if you want to see components inside.
I like their high quality and clean exterior design. I guess that i400 has actually complicated internal design, the same as i100. I mean, there are multiple parts, brackets and other things that fit perfectly. The price is very reasonable for what we get, at least compared to all other brands.
Ah, one more thing. I guess they still don't have PCIe 4.0 risers in retail cases. It supposed to be added, but it takes time from production to store availability.

Yes the build quality looks to surpass even my old SilverstoneTJ04 which while being beautiful to look at, was not really an easy build and it was a seriously noisy case.

The quality, fit and finish is apparent in videos though I’m sure it will look even better in person. Being an AIO kind of guy room for just a single 360 rad suits me just fine. The internal layout looks incredible both in terms of airflow though also easy cable routing for an easy and clean build.

Does anyone know whether video card orientation actually affects cooling in any way or is it just for appearance? Seeing as I’m getting the version with metal sides cooling efficiency is the only consideration.

I’ll likely slap some Dynamat Extreme on the side panels to kill any unwanted resonance. I’m rather hoping this case is quiet also. I suspect the wind tunnel design should lead to good cooling efficiency so hopefully lower fan noise, otherwise I guess I’ll order 6x Noctua fans to drop the noise unless there are better quiet fans have come about in recent years?

Does anyone know whether video card orientation actually affects cooling in any way or is it just for appearance? Seeing as I’m getting the version with metal sides cooling efficiency is the only consideration.

I’ll likely slap some Dynamat Extreme on the side panels to kill any unwanted resonance. I’m rather hoping this case is quiet also. I suspect the wind tunnel design should lead to good cooling efficiency so hopefully lower fan noise, otherwise I guess I’ll order 6x Noctua fans to drop the noise unless there are better quiet fans have come about in recent years?
You don't need to put anything on the side panels. It won't help for this case, but if the side panels are installed the same way as in smaller models, then there won't be any vibrations. At least I had no problems with the i100 Pro.

Video card orientation highly affects the airflow and how the hot air "heats up" other components, but it also depends on the case (space around the graphics card). Jonsbo/Jonsplus makes additional space, so a regular orientation shouldn't cause the graphics card to heat up too much. However, with bottom to top airflow, there are better results when the graphics card is installed vertically.

I will only tell you that I had RX6800XT in UMX4 case with 2 fans on top and 2 on the bottom, and temps were perfect. In the same case I was testing Noctua P1 - passive cooler, and the i400 Pro is significantly larger.

Noctua fans are still the best you can get, but there are similar fans from other brands nowadays. Worse is that no matter what brand, all these top fans are expensive. I don't think you need 6 fans. I would test what temps you have with fans only on the AIO cooler. 3x120mm should still give not bad results and force the airflow. If you notice that something runs hot then add fans on the bottom. More fans = more noise, even when they run at low speed.

Back