• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a new psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

njflyer93

Registered
hey guys i have a question about psu. im looking to upgrade my psu. the one i have is very under powered i dont think its even 400 watts, it came with my case. i need a higher rated psu to overclock my cpu and gpu more. im looking for maybe something about 500 watt. but my question is are the wiring harnesses pretty much universal. i just wanna make sure everything that needs to get powered does. this is my mother board im using.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5G41CM_LX/
im on a little bit of a tight budget. what do you guys recommend?

A modern PSU will have all the connectors you need for this motherboard.

What's you graphics card? The GPU will be the component drawing the most power in your system.

Then you don't need more than 400w. You just need a better quality PSU.

I did the same research for a cheap but good quality PSU a couple months back and ended up considering Antec VP450 or Corsair CX430. Both around $45 or less, both good quality. Corsair maybe a bit better IMO and gets quite cheap when there's mail-in rebates.

Nothing really beats the 430, I doubt they actually make money on the thing, it's a very slid value.

that would be compatible with my mother board connector? does the type of case matter?

We could tell if we had system specs. It helps a lot with stuff like this

i have a link for the motherboard in my original thread. the gpu is xfx ati 5570. intel core 2 duo extreme. g skil 4gb rip jaw series ram. 500gb seagate hard drive

You need a 24-pin and 4-pin for the motherboard, which is still the standard plugs today.

thanks guys. ill take a look at the link. i just wanted to make sure that the connectors would work with my motherboard

ok a little update. i took a physical look at the board. it has a 24 pin main power connector plus a 4 pin power connector by the cpu. i dont think the antec will work.

I don't know why not? I told you that it has a 24-pin and a 4-pin on the motherboard and that is currently standard on a PSU. That's what the Antec has.

Again, I would look through the list I posted because those are known quality PSUs

ok a little update. i took a physical look at the board. it has a 24 pin main power connector plus a 4 pin power connector by the cpu. i dont think the antec will work.
it will work. It is a STANDARD to use 4/8 pin and 24 pin.

You guys are right. I'm sorry for the confusion I just wanna make sure I order the right one. I'm gonna look at the list tonight and order. Thanks again for your valuable input and advise

That will work with your setup. It's a decent PSU also for the price. Gabe has reviewed it here and it is one of only two PSUs I would recommend under $50. You may be able to find Corsair CX430 for less if you shop around a bit though.

Cheers!

The CX430M is on sale at Newegg right now with their Coupon sale. I'll get a link.

Here's the PSU, has a $20 MIR also.

Use this promo code EMCXNWL32. Makes it $30 after MIR with free shipping. Worth it.

Back