• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a replacement for a Logitech G7 mouse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Well, my oft repaired, well loved, Logitech G7 mouse (of the famed "Fix the doubleclick problem" thread here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594646 ) seems to be dying. :cry: :rain: :bang head

The mouse pointer is now freezing up for about 5-15 seconds at a go, at random intervals, so I figure something in the RF side is going. I've tested it on a couple of computers and the behavior is the same, so I'm pretty sure it is a hardware problem.

Since they haven't been making the G7 mouse for a while, I'm looking for a new replacement mouse.

Wireless and laser are a must, about the same size/shape as a g7 would be nice. I've got another wireless mouse that came with my wireless ergonomic keyboard, but it is too ball shaped and feels uncomfortable to me. I'd also like a scroll wheel and a thumb button that can be configured for 'back' for web browsing.

Any suggestions?

What about the Mad Catz RAT 9? It is wireless and laser and has many configurable buttons. I have the RAT 5, which is a cheaper version of the 9 and I'm very happy with the performance in gaming and general use, so you've got nothing to lose if you try one of these! They may be expensive, but they are quality products.

Looks interesting, but a bit more than I wanted to spend. However, I'll keep it in the running.

Looks uncomfortable, but reading the description I'm sure I'll be able to tweak it how I like it.

torin if you like the G7 it's very similar to the G700, I just purchased one. It can be used wired or wireless.

The G700 does look pretty close. Thank you.

I've also been checking out a few video reviews of the RAT 9. It is starting to grow on me. I should be getting a bonus check this week from work, if it is big enough, I may just go for the RAT 9.

for what it's worth.
I have a G5 and I love it. Best mouse I've ever owned.
I purchased a Rat5 a few years ago thinking maybe it was time to upgrade... I hated it.
I'm still using my G5
Everywhere I've read and as Mandrake already pointed out, is the G700 or G700s are good replacement if you are looking for something most similar to the G7

Well, bonus check was nice, so I decided to go for the RAT 9.

I'll report back how well I like it after I've had it for a few days.

With any luck, it should arrive tomorrow.

Well, it arrived today. So far, it feels pretty comfortable. I put all the weights in, and it has a nice heft to it now.

I did see someone complain about how hard it was to pull the battery out. I agree it is hard, unless you take off the sliding palm rest. Once you do that, it is dead easy.

Should be a more than adequate replacement.

I'm glad you bought it, it won't disappoint you.
Maybe you fell it a bit weird at first, but you'll get used to it, at least that's what happened to me.

I have the Func Archetype Surface 1030 and the RAT seems to like it.
I tried it on other (normal) mousepads and it's true it didn't work.

I've been a RAT fan for awhile and find that my RAT7 is very picky when it comes to mousepads..
Anyone else?

Yeah, I'm finding this to be the case. About the only downside so far.

I have the Func Archetype Surface 1030 and the RAT seems to like it.
I tried it on other (normal) mousepads and it's true it didn't work.

Doesn't seem to be available at very many places.

Any suggestions that would work that I could get at newegg, or the like?

It's too bad you are limiting yourself by requiring a wireless mouse. I bought a Perixx MX3000b Laser Gaming Mouse on Newegg for like $32 and it's a great mouse for the price. I used it to replace my old G9 which I had for a couple of years and absolutely loved.

Yeah, I'm finding this to be the case. About the only downside so far.

Doesn't seem to be available at very many places.

Any suggestions that would work that I could get at newegg, or the like?

Another suggestion would be the SteelSeries 9HD. Its surface is almost the same as the Archetype, so the RAT will like it.
I've seen people who had the Archetype and then bought the SS and didn't see much difference at all.

Another suggestion would be the SteelSeries 9HD. Its surface is almost the same as the Archetype, so the RAT will like it.
I've seen people who had the Archetype and then bought the SS and didn't see much difference at all.

Well, I tried it, and it did help somewhat. But every so often, the mouse goes crazy and will only move either up and down in a line, or left and right in a line. You have to unplug the USB receiver and turn off the mouse to get it to reset.

:bang head

Purchased the G700s recently, previously using a razor lachesis that I used for years but never really liked. I was not looking for a wireless but G700s was about half price.

The mouse feels nice for my hand, features are nice, I love the scroll wheel on it even though it has a bit cheesy feel.

Niggles - battery life is very short, about a 2- 4 hour gaming session. When plugged in the cord is just a bit stiff

Well, I tried it, and it did help somewhat. But every so often, the mouse goes crazy and will only move either up and down in a line, or left and right in a line. You have to unplug the USB receiver and turn off the mouse to get it to reset.

:bang head

It happens to me as well, but if I blow at the sensor and clean the surface a bit, the problem goes away without having to unplug the mouse.
I do not know if it will work for you, but it did the trick for me.

Back