• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a replacement GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StrategyFreak

Registered
Hi all,

I'm currently folding on a i7 3770k, GTX 770, and GTX 560 Ti on my work rig when its not in use (started folding under Adak after checking this forum for the first time in a while). No problems there, and I'm currently getting anywhere between 150k and 170k ppd (~ 110 - 120k on the GTX 770 with core 17 on 9401s).

On the other system (gaming/not work), I have a i7 920 and GTX 460 Ti, but the card is definitely on its last legs, with regular GPU related crashes and glitches, even during normal operation (not folding). The PPD/watt of SMP folding right now is so low compared to GPU that running the i7 alone 24/7 doesn't justify the power.

I'm looking for a replacement GPU (or two) that's both great for gaming and folding. My budget is under $1000 ($1200 for 2 cards), but PPD/$ is still important, so cards with cryptominer-inflated prices are probably out of the question. Another consideration is the impending release of Maxwell. If it does well in folding, I'll switch my work rig's cards for two high end Maxwell cards and move the current cards to my gaming rig.

I currently have these options: GTX 780 Ti/ 780/ 2x 780, 2 x750 Ti (stopgap cards, but seems like they're having issues with folding atm) or a second GTX 770 for my work system and move the 560 to my gaming rig, with the intent being moving over both 770's once Maxwell is released.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Right now I think people should wait until the new point system is revealed. Only then will we know the direction to take for the future.

I'm much more familiar with the Nvidia side of things. If you wanted to buy right now, I'd probably suggest a pair of 780s. That's what I'm running, and with decent overclocks (~1200 MHz core after boost) they each do between 170k-220k on core 17 depending on project and, in the case of 9401, run selection. A single 780 Ti does between 200-260k with a decent OC, I think. Both cards are unaffected by the recent Nvidia driver bug wherein every driver from 331.40 to the present has at least halved every Kepler's folding performance by 50% except the 780, 780 Ti, and Titan. If this computer is going to be gaming, I'm guessing you'll want to run the latest drivers.

The comparable AMD card would be an R9 290X, but that gets similar PPD to a 780 at at least $100 more. Plus I think they use more power to boot.

If you're not in a hurry I'd wait for the high-end Maxwells. By that time they should have fixed the core 17 issues that the 750 (Ti) are seeing.

Last edited:
It might also be worth bearing in mind that the new generation of script mining ASIC machines should be about to start rolling out over the next few months which will beat out the AMD cards for dedicated mining purposes - this should lead to a drop in prices and even perhaps a temporary crash in (2nd hand) prices IF people try to sell on mass for a short time.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I got a stopgap GTX 770 and I'll wait for the next gen of cards and the direction F@H goes with the point system. I was hoping my 460 would last until F@H fixed the issues with the 750 Ti, but unfortunately it couldn't hang on any longer.

Back