• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scu84St3v3420

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) (PC4 25600) F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

Looking for some advice on tweaking this ram kit to get the most out of it. Unfortunately didn't do my full homework regarding ram or I would have splurged on the B-Die version of this kit, but here we are and wondering what can be done to get the best performance from my current hardware.

This kit is 3200MHz 16-18-18-38 1.35V XMP out of the box.

I am a noob on the subject of RAM overclocking, so I am really looking for a far more experienced individual to help me out here.

Current Build:

Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Ryzen 5 2600X
(Ram listed above)
GTX 1080
EVGA G3 650W

Last edited:
I don't think you can set it at much tighter timings on X470 motherboards but you can still try and maybe go for higher frequency.
Start with checking what IC is under the heatsinks. I guess there is Hynix but better if you check it. Use something like Thaiphoon Burner. There is free version which let to read memory details.

I was testing one of kits under the same PN but IC could change and I bet it's a bit different than in memory kits from 2 years ago.

New Hynix will work at something like 3333-3466 16-18-18 / 16-19-19 and up to 3600 18-20-20 1.35V. At least new HyperX or G.Skill Sniper X on new Hynix IC are scaling like that.

Is it running stable at full stock advertised frequency and timings?

I don't think you can set it at much tighter timings on X470 motherboards but you can still try and maybe go for higher frequency.
Start with checking what IC is under the heatsinks. I guess there is Hynix but better if you check it. Use something like Thaiphoon Burner. There is free version which let to read memory details.

I was testing one of kits under the same PN but IC could change and I bet it's a bit different than in memory kits from 2 years ago.

New Hynix will work at something like 3333-3466 16-18-18 / 16-19-19 and up to 3600 18-20-20 1.35V. At least new HyperX or G.Skill Sniper X on new Hynix IC are scaling like that.

http://rgho.st/776zHkMQm/image.png
snap7102018111243PM.png

So on another note, I can't seem to upload images in any manner on this forum, including BBCode... This seems strange to me as someone who was a forum manager for over 2 years previously and that was 6 years ago and we didn't have these issues with uploading images, which in my eyes means the coding is muffed up somewhere, otherwise you have a post minimum set for uploading images.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you have Hynix ICs, I wonder how high it will clock for you.

Last edited:
Looks like you have Hynix ICs, I wonder how high it will clock for you.

Yea I mean I kind of knew it was Hynix ICs before running that software based on the the stock XMP timings. Samsung is C15 and below and cost about $25-$35 more than what I paid for my kit from the same company. I just didn't know the significant difference at the time I purchased it or I would have bought the B-Die kit. And yea that is what I want to find out. Id rather tighten the timings than increase the frequency from what I have read about Ryzen systems recently, but I have no idea what I am doing with RAM lol.

I usually convert the file for posting to jpg. Votage for DDR4 overclocking can go up to 1.45v.

I upped the frequency to 3466 MHz @ 16-18-18-38 1.35 V, what are some good free tool I could use to see if it is stable or not?

Run 6 instances of MemTest HCI with unused memory you see in task manger.

I just looked at that and it required that I have Flash Drive to store the program on, which for whatever sad reason in this day and age I do not have and my rig doesn't have an optical drive or floppy drive.

With Hynix AFR you can count on about the same as with MFR so pretty much the same as with all new Hynix IC. Results won't be much better than what I already said in last post. CL can be lowered at higher voltage, sub-timings not so much. So maybe at 1.5V you can set DDR4-3466 at CL15 instead of CL16. Not sure if it's worth it and AMD will set CL16 anyway so it's like CL14, 16, 18.
Ryzen likes higher frequency more than tighter timings so I would check if something like 3600-3733 works at CL18. Performance can be compared in many tests. The best for synthetic bandwidth is AIDA64 but some tests are not available in free version.

I wouldn't cry because of Hynix IC. If you are not taking a part in competitive benchmarking then it really doesn't matter what IC is in use.
Personally I like Micron IC on AMD as it overclocks high and is easier to stabilize than other IC. It's just that forum members don't really care about anything else than Samsung B because they read various forums where other users spread info that for Ryzen good is only Samsung. They don't even compare results, just say it's the best.

With Hynix AFR you can count on about the same as with MFR so pretty much the same as with all new Hynix IC. Results won't be much better than what I already said in last post. CL can be lowered at higher voltage, sub-timings not so much. So maybe at 1.5V you can set DDR4-3466 at CL15 instead of CL16. Not sure if it's worth it and AMD will set CL16 anyway so it's like CL14, 16, 18.
Ryzen likes higher frequency more than tighter timings so I would check if something like 3600-3733 works at CL18. Performance can be compared in many tests. The best for synthetic bandwidth is AIDA64 but some tests are not available in free version.

I wouldn't cry because of Hynix IC. If you are not taking a part in competitive benchmarking then it really doesn't matter what IC is in use.
Personally I like Micron IC on AMD as it overclocks high and is easier to stabilize than other IC. It's just that forum members don't really care about anything else than Samsung B because they read various forums where other users spread info that for Ryzen good is only Samsung. They don't even compare results, just say it's the best.

So just switch from 16-18-18-38 to 18-20-20-38 and between 3600-3733? Again I super uniformed on the topic of RAM, so I basically need it all spelled out sadly.

So just switch from 16-18-18-38 to 18-20-20-38 and between 3600-3733? Again I super uniformed on the topic of RAM, so I basically need it all spelled out sadly.

The fun with RAM OC is finding the best numbers in your rig. There are ranges within which certain ICs, chipsets, etc., work, but every rig will have it's own personality and there isn't any way to say "set A, B, and C to X, Y, and Z" for each computer. Finding the best settings falls to each specific combination and time spent doing it. I spent a solid week tweaking my RAM. And it's incremental at best. Too big a jump can bork your OS if it isn't stable. I've seen a lot of boot.ini corruption from failed RAM overclocking.
Run 6 instances of MemTest HCI with unused memory you see in task manger.

^This.

http://rgho.st/776zHkMQm/image.png

So on another note, I can't seem to upload images in any manner on this forum, including BBCode... This seems strange to me as someone who was a forum manager for over 2 years previously and that was 6 years ago and we didn't have these issues with uploading images, which in my eyes means the coding is muffed up somewhere, otherwise you have a post minimum set for uploading images.
we have a bug thread. Please report the issie there with details...browser, etc. If you are using firefox, uninstall flash.

Just try manually 3600 , 1.35V memory voltage and everything else at auto ... motherboard will set some timings and you will see if it boots.
If it won't boot then set main timings to 18-20-20-40 ... or if you have more timings then just compare what from main timings is higher or lower... not sure what you have in your BIOS, can be 18-20-20-20-40. Everything else can stay at auto.

If you make it work at 3600 without issues then can try at 3733 but I don't know if your motherboard will handle 3600 or 3733 clock. A lot depends on BIOS and some other things so it's never guaranteed. For example ASRock X470 Taichi runs fine at 3466, works at 3600 only with some memory kits and boots at 3733 but isn't stable. Other ASRock motherboard X370 Gaming ITX works up to 3866 without issues. I just don't know how Strix X470 works with memory so you will have to try some settings on your own.

Alright, tried leave everything as it was and strictly adjusting to 3600, wouldn't boot. Adjusted to the timings to 18-20-20-40 and now here we are. I will have to get a flash drive to use that MemTest ICH program in the very near future to test stability. If it runs stable then I will go for 3733 and see how that goes.

Back