• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help on building a pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ckane

I am looking on building a gaming computer and I can't seem to find any good guides on it.I would like to go for the Alienware computers type PC any help is appreciated

Maybe like a good medium and excellent builds

Last edited:
Do you have a budget? Do you need a monitor/ KB/mouse/windows etc.. Also where are you located and where do you shop
A few more details would help

I have a monitor mouse and keyboard and I don't know what the best OS would be.no budget really,like I said if I can maybe get a list of everything for a low medium and high budget then I can decide from there

I'm in Hamilton Ontario

Do you have any parts currently that you want to use in the new build?

What Resolution/hz do you plan on gaming @ , I Think this question matters most .
What games , and do you need ultra settings ?
I I would wait till CL drops before make your final decision .
How often do you upgrade ?

If it was me I would be looking for somthing with more than 4 cores 7700k/8700k/1600 .
For gfx card a min for me would be 1070/vega56. But all depends on the games . If your using it to play csgo / overwatch @1080p pretty much anything from a gtx950 up will play with 60+fps

This is the first time you've built? Budget really does make all the difference in what kind of system you build along with what games you play and what kind of monitor you are using. Also just fyi, Alienware desktops are crap. Total utter dog feces. The Aurora and Area 51 cases look horrible, put together like crap, and don't cool worth a damn. If you want looks and performance look for a tempered glass case, RGB fans, RGB keyboard, cable sleeving kits, etc.

Just to give you a raw idea of what a current 1080p\60hz gaming machine would run you:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8CKsTH

If you get a nicer monitor, say something really nice like:
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34...ml3xpDDpNYno7BLAAs7eSAZcMMI-8mS0aAlKLEALw_wcB

Or just a 4K\60hz, or a 1080p\144+hz you would up the GPU to a 1080ti and tack on about $450.

I highly recommend you start watching youtube system build videos to get an idea of how its done and what all you can do.

ok I'll build from scratch monitor mouse keyboard and tower all I want is a list of parts fora good to top line and in between for gaming please and thanks

Honestly most people here don't want to make three parts lists. Remember we do this on our time. If we know ballpark how much you're willing to spend we'll find what fits that budget. Best bang for the buck. Myself as long as everything else is working I wouldn't replace the monitor,KB etc... That's me. What do you have for a monitor currently?
I would spend what I could on the system and upgrade the peripherals later

I can't remember the monitor off the top of my head maybe $700 and $1300 I could go with

I can't remember the monitor off the top of my head maybe $700 and $1300 I could go with

I think you’re missing the point of the other posters. All of us will happily tell you what the best there is given your budget as it is all a balancing act to maximize performance. $700 is a pretty bare bones budget vs $1300 which would get you a lowish midtier PC. High end setups using HEDT can run anywhere from $2k on the low end to 5k+ easily on the high end or more. Top end graphics cards like the TitanXP can run $1200 by themselves with some boards capable of accepting 4 of them which is over $5k by itself with tax before adding a server grade PSU for at least $4-500. That’s before adding potentially adding a processor or RAM which together on the high end could easily match another $5k.

For $1200 you’re looking at either a 8700k or a 7700k or an Ryzen 1800X your call. Graphics card wise a GTX1060

So give us an idea what you intend to budget for the tower with tax and we can begin to give suggestions. If you really don’t have a budget and you want the best money can buy all the way around it’ll be a good $10k and that’s assuming you don’t want a server.

There are folks on here who have those kinds of setups but most are sponsored

Last edited:
I'm looking for a ATX tower so maybe $150 with the tax not planning on any servers

Back