• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TBsteve

I recently had to evacuate for the hurricane recently (Florida) and in doing so I took my PC with me, unplugging everything. Now I'm back home and I set everything up.....put it back just the way I had it.....powers on normally with no abnormal sounds....BUT the USB ports won't recognize my keyboard/mouse (no power going to the backlights for either) and the monitors won't turn on. I tried taking the GPU out, looking around and tightening everything, vacuumed some dust up, secured the GPU back in.....still nothing.....any solutions?

Did any power outages/surges occur before you unplugged it to evacuate?

Are your mouse and keyboard connected to the computer by a usb cable or a wireless usb dongle? Do you have usb ports in the front of the case and at the back and did you try all usb ports?

When you say the monitors won't turn on do you mean they show no video image or do you mean there is no sign of power activity at all on the monitors (No LED lights where the power button and controls are)?

Have you tried removing the video card and plugging one of the monitors into the onboard video?

No outages that I know of prior to the evac.

I have 4 USB ports in the front and 4 in the back, none worked with my keyboard and mouse (wired usb).

There is power on the monitors and they recognize when they are plugged into the case, but I get no video at all.

I have not tried that. I will try it in the morning. Thank you!!!!

Yeah if you don't give video from the onboard try resetting your bios. Try each stick of ram individually. Disconnect all your drives, don't need them to get to bios. Looks like there is a LED readout on your MB, if so whats the number showing?

Make sure your GTX 970 has the power connectors coming from the PSU firmly seated and that the card is firmly seated in the PCI-e slot.

By the way, you gave no information about your PSU. What is the make, model and wattage of it? How old is it?

One other thought. Do you have a large, heavy aftermarket tower cooler installed? If so, was there any point in time in your haste to get out of Dodge that the case may have fallen over or been dropped? With both USB and PCI-e not showing up it occurs to me that the socket area may have been damaged by trauma.

Last edited:
Didn't do anything suggested yet, figured I'd give it a shot to see what happened....so now when I plug in my keyboard or mouse, their back light goes on for about 1-2 seconds, then it's out.....

- - - Updated - - -

Also I thought I moved my PC pretty carefully while fleeing but possibly a bump in the road while driving?

15, 20, 53 were the numbers that came up. PSU is a EVGA Supernova 650 GS (80 plus) and its about a year old i believe?

Turned it on without the GPU and its doing the same stuff. Should I put the GPU back in and read the numbers with it in?

That would probably be a good idea.

The LED trouble codes 15, 20, 53 indicate a memory issue according to ASRock: http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334

Having said that, that could mean anything from a bent socket pin to a broken ICB trace to a bad memory module itself. Anything between the CPU and the memory module could cause those codes. But it would be a good idea to take out all but one stick of memory and try each stick in each slot. That could help you narrow down whether it was a memory module or something else like a bad memory slot or a bad ICB soldered trace.

That could also simply be one module (or more) of memory not well seated in its slot.

Would he still get something displayed on the screen with a bad or not seated module? I thought (and could be wrong) that you would still get a display just no boot past the initial post screen?
I would also verify all your plugs are secured into the board. Unplug everything and plug it in again to verify.

I'm about to give up and find a PC repair shop. I always try and fix **** myself but I'm a rookie at best with this stuff and I'm at a loss currently. The memory stocks are seated and I've been checking connections from LEDs to the CPU. This is past my limited knowledge and there's not much I can do without display or keyboard/mouse.

Did you try my advice in post #8 about trying each memory stick one at a time in each slot?

Did you try my advice in post #8 about trying each memory stick one at a time in each slot?
This is a serious troubleshooting step that will likely be done at any pc repair shop anyway. If you have "known good" ram sticks then you could try that also

Well in regards to that, I have a hyper EVO fan and a heat sink that prevent me from putting a memory stick into slot 1. 2 through 4 are good. Should I stick to only using 1 stick at a time?

If you have a stock cooler use that for now and test each stick in each slot. You *hopefully * will find out only one of your sticks is bad. Both might be though, and to troubleshoot that you would need ram from a system that you know works.

If it is an option you could also try testing your ram in another system that you know works. If that system also doesn't boot then you know the culprit - its the ram.

I'm about to just say **** it and buy more ram...i don't know anybody to help me out in that regard unfortunately. Would bad ram really be the culprit in all This (possibly)?

OP, what is your location? You may have a fellow OCer near-by that could lend a stick of RAM to help you test if that is the case. All signs do seem to be pointing towards RAM as the issue.

I'm in St Pete, Florida currently. Half our city doesn't have power because of the hurricane so others here may not even see my post :(

- - - Updated - - -

I may order a new set and test them out. Worst case I can return them to Amazon.

Back