• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My reset button on my case doesn't work - should I try it directly on the motherboard???

My reset button on my case doesn't work - should I try it directly on the motherboard???

It shouldn't hurt anything if you want to try it, it will just reset your system (power cycle it). I had a case with a bad power button once, I used the one on the board daily until I fixed it.

I had a situation the other day on my desktop where I had removed the video card and was using the onboard video for about a week. When I put the video card back in I got no video. Took it out again, check bios video settings and put it back in. Still no video. I knew there was nothing wrong with the video card. To make a long story short, the video mode was not switching from onboard to dedicated like it should have. It was hung for some reason. What finally fixed it was hitting the reset button several times.

TBsteve, if your reset button isn't working it makes me wonder if you have the front panel connectors on the wrong pins in the block. I would check that. Typically, the end pin on the longest row is unused. It's easy to get things misaligned. Check your manual.

Last edited:
I had a situation the other day on my desktop where I had removed the video card and was using the onboard video for about a week. When I put the video card back in I got no video. Took it out again, check bios video settings and put it back in. Still no video. I knew there was nothing wrong with the video card. To make a long story short, the video mode was not switching from onboard to dedicated like it should have. It was hung for some reason. What finally fixed it was hitting the reset button several times.

TBsteve, if your reset button isn't working it makes me wonder if you have the front panel connectors on the wrong pins in the block. I would check that. Typically, the end pin on the longest row is unused. It's easy to bet things misaligned. Check your manual.

I will definitely reset a few times. The thing with bad connections is I don't see when anything changed that drastically in my PC between when I last used it (Saturday evening) and when I plugged it in (Yesterday). I tried to be as gentle as possible...The only bumps that could have happened were en route to evacuating...I just don't understand it. What happened????? Lets hope this reset works.

The problem with those LED trouble codes is that they are often pretty nonspecific. As I pointed out earlier, a code having to do with memory could reflect issues with any part of the pathway that connects the RAM to the CPU.

I'm reminded of this old "anatomy instruction" song we used to sing in elementary school back in the 1950s:

One other thought. Do you have a large, heavy aftermarket tower cooler installed? If so, was there any point in time in your haste to get out of Dodge that the case may have fallen over or been dropped? With both USB and PCI-e not showing up it occurs to me that the socket area may have been damaged by trauma.

This could easily have happened in transportation if you do have a larger cpu cooler.

I think I have a Hyper EVO 212? IDK. If its the CPU/Motherboard does that mean time for a new build?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my friend is going to come take a look...but he can't until probably Friday because of the hurricane. Dam you hurricane :(

I think I have a Hyper EVO 212? IDK. If its the CPU/Motherboard does that mean time for a new build?

It would be a good time for upgrading, yes. A new direct replacement motherboard to stay with your current hardware platform is about $280 by itself and then you are still on a technology platform that is four generations old. But an upgrade would mean new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM. All the other current stuff you could reuse.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my friend is going to come take a look...but he can't until probably Friday because of the hurricane. Dam you hurricane :(

I already started putting a cart together on newegg a few hours ago. Lol. Could I get one of you guys to help me? I can take a snip of the cart and send it to ya. I Just want to make sure I'm not going overboard or underboard in any certain areas.

We'll be glad to take a look at it for you and offer advice. Yeah, you can do a screenie if you want and attach using the Go Advanced post button to upload the captured file.

We'll be glad to take a look at it for you and offer advice. Yeah, you can do a screenie if you want and attach using the Go Advanced post button to upload the captured file.

Thanks a million. I plan on doing water cooled this time around - I'd definitely appreciate your thoughts on that. I'm hoping it will help tone down the amount of pet hair that gets in my PC. PDF attached below:

View attachment Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg.pdf

Here's a scary recommendation: ditch the AIO and build a custom loop. With some good shopping around, you can pick up the 1070 SeaHawk for the same price as the gaming x, and all your other parts you can save some money shopping around too. With all the saved money, you could build a nice custom loop that cools the cpu and gpu, and is wisper quiet to boot.

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by that? By AIO do you mean all in one? And what do you mean by custom loop? Sorry man I'm a rookie.

I definitely would upgrade the water cooler you have listed. That is a puny unit and will likely not provide enough cooling for the 7700k. It probably would not provide any better cooling than your current CM Hyper 212 evo or maybe even not as much.

If you want to cool that CPU with an AIO water product, pick one with a 2x120 radiator.

Did you pick that case because it came with a PSU on a combo deal? That PSU is not as good as the one you have now. As I recall you have an EVGA Super Nova now, correct? That is as good a PSU as there is and it's only a year old.

Rest of the stuff looks good. Realize the the m.2 SSD you have on the list is SATA and not PCI-e (nvme). The latter will give better performance but is more expensive.

Motherboard and memory and video card look good.

So I guess I don't understand why you are not reusing your case, PSU and your existing SATA drives?

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by that? By AIO do you mean all in one? And what do you mean by custom loop? Sorry man I'm a rookie.

AIO = all in one (sealed unit), as trents pointed out it's not a great one.
Custom loop would be buying your own pump/res/radiator/tubing/fittings. Lots of kits out there as well that come with all that. Better cooling, plus you can add to or upgrade any of the parts down the road like getting a water block for the gpu (the MSI Seahawk has one pre-installed and I found it for less than the gaming x).

I definitely would upgrade the water cooler you have listed. That is a puny unit and will likely not provide enough cooling for the 7700k. It probably would not provide any better cooling than your current CM Hyper 212 evo or maybe even not as much.

If you want to cool that CPU with an AIO water product, pick one with a 2x120 radiator.

Did you pick that case because it came with a PSU on a combo deal? That PSU is not as good as the one you have now. As I recall you have an EVGA Super Nova now, correct? That is as good a PSU as there is and it's only a year old.

Rest of the stuff looks good. Realize the the m.2 SSD you have on the list is SATA and not PCI-e (nvme). The latter will give better performance but is more expensive.

Motherboard and memory and video card look good.

So I guess I don't understand why you are not reusing your case, PSU and your existing SATA drives?

I want to use the PSU, but I'm scared it may have something to do with my current issues. I like the case I have now, but it is a mid tower case and I would like a full tower. I was just trying to save some money here and there with the combo deals, I can go back and look through. I will be reusing all my drives, that combo just came with the 500GB SSD so I figured that was a nice grab. The 2 SSDs I have now are both smaller so I figured adding a 500 GB SSD was good, but would it be a considerable difference in speed?

Yeah that is why I wanted to get a bigger case. I actually used to have a 3-fan GPU that was an absolute PAIN to get into the case. I saw my friend's NZXT Phantom and said I'm never getting mid tower again. Thank you for the water cooling recommendation, I think I'll go with that one. I also took that combo out and replaced everything. The graphics card that Jeff mentioned (MSI Seahawk) plus I picked out an MSI MoBo:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V5BP3644&ignorebbr=1

I kept the same memory, though. Is the SSD not worth it? I have a 125 GB SSD, 250 GB SSD, and a HDD.

Back