• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pedromvg

Hi guys:
Looking for motherboard it could fit in this
Specifications:processor:amd fx 8350 4.0ghz
Power supply: corsair CX600
Memory ram: corsair 4 GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
Graphics card:Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 768MB .l appreciate some help.
Thanks

Welcome...

...WELCOME to OCF Pedromvg. :welcome:

Honestly with these parts you list as already having > Memory ram: corsair 4 GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
Graphics card:Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 768MB < you are in need of much more than an FX-8350 motherboard.

1. AMD FX processors don't even begin to catch up to Intel processors and never catch them in most gaming until you overclock the AMD FX processor.

2. Probably the better FX setup is done with 'two' sticks of DDR3-1866 ram so using two sticks can allow for a faster use of ram in Dual Channel mode.

3. Overclocking the FX series of processor and most especially the 8 core FX processors requires more than a stock heat sink. Something nO less than a CoolerMaster 212 EVO need be considered for a medium overclock of about 4.4GHz using an 8 core FX-8350. Just a fact of life found in going on 3.5 years since AMD FX 8 core processors have been released and we have had to deal with users now all that time.

4. Cheap, entry level motherboards and an overclocked FX-8350 just don't seem fit for each other very well, so we hardly ever recommend them. The only cheaper AM3+ mobo that might be worthy of mention when knowing an overclock needs to happen, is the GA-970A-UD3P motherboard. It is relatively new on the scene and is the very least expensive thing I would even think to recommend to one of my close friends, much less someone seeking a truthful suggestion in a forum.

5. I think if I were in your position and hopefully did not already have an FX-8350 in hand, I would get a much cheaper AMD FM2+ APU rig and use the money savings to get a better video card and kit of ram in two sticks so I could utilize the faster dual channel ram mode. Now this is my honest better choice for the money suggestion. What you do is up to you of course since it is your money. In #4 above, I have already mentioned the only cheap motherboard that I could stomach for a friend.

Whatever have some fun and good luck.

RGone...

Thanks for your post RGone
The problem is l have a mobo msi970a g46(overclock) and it does not boot actually l got 3 long beeps (failure memory 64kb)as you know my stuff do you think is the memory or processor or could be the mobo memory slots. Should l take your advice when you reply it to my post.
Sorry to be a pain
Thanks a lot

1. Have you been running an FX-8350 in that motherboard???

2. 3 long beeps (failure memory 64kb) << that is sort of an error that was from way back in the early IBM days when there was barely that much ram in a motherboard anyway. You can try one ram stick moving it from slot to slot and trying to boot. Then swap to the other stick if you have one and try it in each slot trying to boot. If neither stick will boot like it should it maybe the mobo. It could still be the ram but seldom do two sticks of a two stick both go bad at the same time.

3. I probably would clear the CMOS before testing each ram stick in each slot just to give the board and "reason" to look at the ram as if changed and you are changing it.

4. If you answer that you have been running FX-8350 in that board, then it is a very good chance it has killed the board. That board and 8Core FX processor are not very friendly over time. The board is just not really robust enough in power delivery.

5. No it does not sound like a cpu problem.

RGone...

Once again thanks for your reply.
I Did run fx 8350, but the mobo leds they are all on.So l guess it's fine(not sure).
Do you reckon if l changed the processor and do it reset of cmos it could fix the problem. Can you recommend a processor it could fit in the mobo.
Thanks RGone

5. No it does not sound like a cpu problem. < Did you read that above? It does not sound like a cpu problem so why swap or change cpus? If you did anything it would be get a better motherboard!!! Did you check the ram from slot to slot?

Do you have any video on monitor while trying to boot?

RGone...

EDIT:
Will be away from computer for some hours.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Good Morning RGone
Yes l tried both ram in every single slot and no video at all still 3 beeps and also l did reset cmos nothing happen it so I think lm will buy another mobo,should l add more stuff like video card ?Thanks

Okay, we are troubleshooting...

...troubleshooting problems from many many miles away from you computer. It is often hard to do this.

1. Can you borrow a stick of ram that is 'sure' to be good to see if mobo still shows three beeps and n0 video?

2. I 'think' the motherboard is not good anymore, but if you had one known good stick of ram to do an extra test with it would be more sure.

3. I suggest one last test with a known good stick of ram is just to be more sure it is motherboard. It just does not happen often that two sticks of ram are bad at the same time. A complete two stick kit 'can' go bad. Just have not seen it happen that often. Two 'seeming' bad at same time makes me believe it is motherboard.

That is all I can say about why it seems motherboard is bad. I think I would get system fully working before I put money out for a different video card. You have an older video card and a newer more powerful video card would be better for gaming, but I just usually don't try and spend extra money until I get the system working again after some sort of failure.

RGone...

Back