• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for new ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sony190

Looking for performance increase in modules 1800 to 2100. What is good?
Budget of $100
Or just wait for something better

You wont see an increase in performance from RAM really...its not close to being a bottleneck in most activities on a PC (gaming to name one it wont help). Not to mention, I'm not even sure that AMD CPU/setup will even run any RAM that fast in the first place. You are better off with 1600Mhz 2x4GB.

Thanks saw mem on sale figured Id upgrade but wasnt sure what was Better at higher mhz

is this going to be for the PC in your sig?

Memory upgrades can be beneficial to overall system performance and will in some cases result in higher FPS in games.

Yes thought that it would help gaming heard G skill snipers were hot.

If you want new RAM for the rig in sig then Crucial Elite 1600 CL8 / 1866CL9 ( the same chips and similar price ) are probably best available sticks for AMD right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148500 ( you can probably find cheaper )
Tactical or Tactical Tracer should be still on the same chips. My kits were running @1600 7-7-7 1.50-1.55V or 1866 8-8-8 1.55-1.60V.
Phenom series won't run at 1800+ ( or not without problems ). If you wan't memory for some other rig then please give us short specification.

is this going to be for the PC in your sig?

Memory upgrades can be beneficial to overall system performance and will in some cases result in higher FPS in games.

Yes thought that it would help gaming heard G skill snipers were hot.
Perhaps a graphical representation of my post would help...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/...3-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill/8

Also note, that was run with the IGP, which responds very well to memory speed increases, versus a GPU which does not.

Well, all I can see there is data which supports the conclusion.. higher memory speeds result in higher FPS. The AMD K10 IGP is more bandwidth limited and would likely see even more gains than on an I7 platform.

You'd see gains on the Phenom II as well, but it becomes difficult to get it stable, as Woomack mentioned. Wouldn't advise anything over 1600, especially on a Denab.

I see this quote after the game and FPS testing:
The only game that beats the MemTweakIt predictions is Batman: AA, but most games follow the similar shape of increases just scaled differently. Bearing in mind the price differences between the kits, if IGP is your goal then either the 1600 C9 or 1866 C9 seem best in terms of bang-for-buck, but 2133 C9 will provide extra performance if the budget stretches that far.

I see this quote after the game and FPS testing:
The only game that beats the MemTweakIt predictions is Batman: AA, but most games follow the similar shape of increases just scaled differently. Bearing in mind the price differences between the kits, if IGP is your goal then either the 1600 C9 or 1866 C9 seem best in terms of bang-for-buck, but 2133 C9 will provide extra performance if the budget stretches that far.

That quote is from Anandtech's review using the iGPU. When you use integrated GPUs, the GPU uses system memory as vRAM, and so you see graphical performance upgrades with higher speed memory. When you have a separate graphics card, you see even less of a performance difference.

2.PNG

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

[QUOTE/]
Also note, that was run with the IGP, which responds very well to memory speed increases, versus a GPU which does not.[/QUOTE]
Thats been the case since IGP's were started nothing has changed in the past 10 years.

Nevertheless, we are seeing performance gains. Maybe not as much scaling as when you are running 1866, but the end result is higher FPS.

Also take a look at the effect of NB and Memory speed on a Phenom II.

I'm not saying the gains are incredibly significant, but that an improvement is made with a GPU setup as well.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3877/...investigation-of-thuban-performance-scaling/7

Look at the gaming portion of those tests. to say that higher memory has no impact on gaming isn't really accurate, from the information in the first article or the second.

Thanks for the link, however, that is increasing CPU NB as well as memory speeds, as you said. We are talking memory speeds only here and with discrete GPUs like the links I and Knu provided. I do know that memory speeds are helpful with iGPUs, as we said before, it uses ram for its video memory so that makes complete sense.

Back