• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build a new pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vibatrex

Registered
So I’ve recently decided it’s time for a desktop. I came here in 2016 and got advice that led me to a Dell Inspiron 7335 and could not be happier with that decision, though it’s beginning the downfall. I’m looking to spend $500-$600 if possible, with flexibility if it is logical. I game, photoshop, video edit, so a little of everything. Gaming-wise, things such as Civ 6, many indie games, and the occasional graphic intense game. Any advice or suggestions? I’d prefer to build but am open to buying.

We need some clarification here. Back in 2016 you used our advice to purchase a pre-built OEM computer. Is this what you want to do now or are you wanting to buy the individual parts and assemble it yourself?

My apologies for the confusion. I bought a laptop previously, but now I’m ready to start fresh and build a desktop

What components do you already have if any that you will be carrying over into the new build? For instance, do you need a monitor, keyboard and mouse or do you have these things? Will you be using an existing case and PSU? And what are your FPS expectations? We assume you are looking at 1080p gaming and not 4k.

I currently have the peripherals. Monitors, keyboard, mouse, and such. I just need the actual tower and all parts for the inside.

And your monitors are 1080p, not 4k? Or can you just give me the make and model of the monitor you would be using?

Motherboards are little expensive right now and many models are out of stock. Power supplies are more spendy than usual as well. Supply chain shortages due to COVID or friction between USA and China? More demand due to stay at home wokers?

Yeah I definitely want to plan for the future, so I think the $200 jump wouldn’t be bad

So if I’m not in a hurry, I’m better off waiting on the motherboard and PSU? Also, what’s your opinion on the build suggested

I like trent's build a lot. We've also got suggestions for a lower cost (APU and no GPU) and higher cost (adding about 15% performance by using the 3600 instead of the 1600AF) options depending on your budget.

At the time I posted, the motherboard out of stock being sold at a price that is robbery by a third party. I just wanted to point that out so you didn't accidentally think that a $300 motherboard was being advised. Looking right now, the motherboard is back in stock for the reasonable price of $89. I would buy everything at once, or at least within a short time frame. Saving parts for a build rarely gives you a better deal.

So if I’m not in a hurry, I’m better off waiting on the motherboard and PSU? Also, what’s your opinion on the build suggested

I would buy everything at once, or at least within a short time frame. Saving parts for a build rarely gives you a better deal.

:plus1: Either buy everything now or buy everything later. For an AMD build now, get a B550 not a B450. Decent lower end models like the MSI B55M Pro-VDH WiFi go for $125.

Also be aware that 10th gen Intel systems actually provide better gaming performance than current AMD Ryzen 3000 systems.

:plus1: Either buy everything now or buy everything later. For an AMD build now, get a B550 not a B450. Decent lower end models like the MSI B55M Pro-VDH WiFi go for $125.

Also be aware that 10th gen Intel systems actually provide better gaming performance than current AMD Ryzen 3000 systems.

Good advice from DaveB but my recommendation for AMD was based on OP's stated budget constraints.

Okay, so if I switch out for the 3600, everything else is good to go?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Thanks for the info! Yeah I like the idea of the 3600, the price is still good with that being the only change.

Everything else should work but look at 3600 mhz RAM as the Ryzen 3000 series has a memory controller that will handle it. G.SKill Flare X 3600.

Back