• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build a new pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, I was just curious to where the files and such went on say a prebuilt that’ll have 500 gigs of memory or so.

That would be "flash memory" which is a kind of enduring storage. Flash memory are chips on a PCB card that, unlike RAM, have the special ability, not only to hold data temporarily but to write it to the chips in an enduring way like a hard drive would. We see flash memory used in SSD's, camera cards and thumb drives and they serve the same purpose as spinner hard drives do rather than acting as RAM. They are a much faster kind of enduring storage because there are no moving or mechanical parts.

So would that be included in the build or would I possibly need to buy a SSD at some point? Or even an external hard drive?

Last edited:
Oh wow! I just realized I left enduring storage out of my parts list early on in this thread. Now I understand your confusion. So sorry! Yes, you would need some kind of enduring storage in addition to RAM to have a working build. I would certainly recommend not going with the old style mechanical drive (aka, "spinner" and "platter" drive).

How much space on your current computer's enduring storage (the C: drice) are you using? Most people can get by very nicely with a 500 gb enduring storage drive. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-SN550-5...d=1&keywords=nvme+500gb&qid=1592773789&sr=8-3

or bigger: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rock...ild=1&keywords=nvme+1tb&qid=1592773842&sr=8-5

Okay. Other than that, is everything else good to go?

Last edited:
If you have not made any changes in the past few days that I am not aware of then should be good to go. But to be sure, please update the list the parts for the planned build.

The amazon page link for the GPU doesn't work but if there is no change in that from my original listing it's okay and the rest looks good. Better order before stuffs gets out of stock or prices go up.

Also, should I look into getting thermal paste? Or any other small likewise things?

Any estimation on how long it’ll be before the b550 is back in stock? I don’t know how these things work

I was thinking about that the other day. Maybe some of the other regular participants who have connections on the inside to the motherboard makers would have some more definite input. But this always happens with any new product platform. There is pre-ordering and then back-ordering with only the dregs left until the manufacturers get caught up. It's almost as if they are testing the waters until they get a better idea of what the demand is going to be like. But to answer your question, I would hazard a guess of three weeks from the time "out of stock/sold out" happens. But with the disruptions in the supply chain caused by COVID-19 it might be longer.

Oh wow. Are there any other possible motherboards that’ll work? Or is it worth just waiting? I’m in no major hurry to get it built

Not any that I have confidence in that are reasonably priced. I saw a Gigabyte motherboard on Amazon that had a note saying it would be back in stock on July 5, about the time frame I expressed to you. Personally, I'm partial to the MSI lineup as I think they have done the best job with memory compatibility.

I’ve noticed the MSI MAGs have became available over the last couple days, so maybe it won’t be too long

Back