• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build a new pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Get a good MoBo from Gigabyte or MSI.
Get a Ryzen Chip. It is better at multi-tasking than its expensively priced Intel counterparts.
If you are not an intense video gamer or a video creator then AMD Graphics would provide more value to money than NVIDIA ones.

My answer is vague because the prices of components change all the time. And due to the pandemic, a high amount of uncertainty exists.
So I just suggested the brands that you should opt for.

Get a good MoBo from Gigabyte or MSI.
Get a Ryzen Chip. It is better at multi-tasking than its expensively priced Intel counterparts.
If you are not an intense video gamer or a video creator then AMD Graphics would provide more value to money than NVIDIA ones.

My answer is vague because the prices of components change all the time. And due to the pandemic, a high amount of uncertainty exists.
So I just suggested the brands that you should opt for.

Did you actually read this thread? OP has already acquired a Ryzen 3600 and ordered an Asus motherboard last week. I think everything is in for him except the motherboard.

I prefer laptops to desktops.Laptop configuration is based on what purpose we are going to use it. I am going to buy laptop at reasonable price for my office work like surfing the internet,using ms office,paint software and much more

I prefer laptops to desktops.Laptop configuration is based on what purpose we are going to use it. I am going to buy laptop at reasonable price for my office work like surfing the internet,using ms office,paint software and much more

The title of the thread is, "Looking to build a new PC". Do you build your laptops? And when building a deskotp we do choose the components based on what purpose for which we intend to use it. And with desktops there are a lot more choices for components such that you generally wind up with something more powerful, less noisy and that runs cooler than you would with the equivalent laptop.

And welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
The title of the thread is, "Looking to build a new PC". Do you build your laptops? And when building a deskotp we do choose the components based on what purpose for which we intend to use it. And with desktops there are a lot more choices for components such that you generally wind up with something more powerful, less noisy and that runs cooler than you would with the equivalent laptop.

And welcome to the forum.

I think it's time for me to buy carrots, they're orange and taste so good! I could cook them with peas, that wild make a lovely green and orange meal.

On a white plate that will remind me of Ireland! Or Ivory Coast...

Currently “finished” building. First start, the GPU isn’t getting power. Fans aren’t turning and no display. Motherboard lights up, all fans turn, just the GPU fans arent turning.

Last edited:
With the new cards, the fans don't run all the time. The card essentially is passively cooled until components reach a certain temp and then the fans begin to turn on. Riggs run quieter that way and the fans last longer.

Oh, you didn't mention that part. Does the card require cabled power directly from the PSU? Look on the top or the rear end to see if there are female connectors for one or more six or eight pin leads that come from the PSU.

Also, make sure you have the eight pin 12v connector plugged in that goes from the PSU to the motherbaord.

Yeah it has a slot for a 6 + 2. This PSU has two sets, and I’ve tried both

Try resetting the cmos to default values with the jumper. It could be a memory compatibility issue at XMP (or AXMP) such that if you reset the values it will default to a lower RAM frequency.

And make sure your RAM and all conncectors and the video card are fully seated.

Care to walk me through the CMOS part?

I just took the GPU back out and replaced it with a “click” and everything is snug

Some motherboards have a CMOS reset button and others just have jumper pins where you move the jumper from like pins 1-2 to 2-3. Where you leave the jumper in place for say 30 seconds. If the pins don't come with a jumper then just use a screwdriver tip to short across the appropriate pins for 30 seconds. Many times the CMOS jumper pin block is near the button battery but not always. Consult your manual.

Before you short the jumper, however, power the machine down and remove the power cable from the back of the PSU. Hit the power button to drain the capacitors then jumper. Before you power back up, move the jumper pin bridge back to the original position if there is a jumper bridge.

But first, check #1 below.

Other things to check:
1. Make sure your RAM is inserted into the correct slots on the motherboard. When you aren't filling all the slots, you have to put the sticks in the right slots. Check the motherboard manual.
2. Make sure CPU is seated correctly and that there are no bent pins underneath. Of course, you'd have to remove the water cooler heat block and that is a pain. But we've had inexperienced builders find that to actually be the problem. Make sure you laid the CPU in the socket in the right orientation. One of the corners has a gold triangle on it that matches the triangle pattern on the socket. You can also turn the CPU over and observe the pattern and make sure it matches the one on the socket base since there are places where there are no pins.
3. Remove the motherboard and make sure there are no standoffs unaccounted for. A standoff in the wrong place will short on the circuitry on the board's underside.
4. Replace the PSU with a known working one.
5. Take your new PSU and swap it with the old one in the old computer to make sure the new PSU is good.
6. Take the video card out of the old computer and swap it with the one in the new build.
7. Try your new video card in the old build.

Let's be clear here. You're not getting any post on the monitor?

Yeah I’m getting “Scanning for signal...” then “No Signal”

What’s the chances I got a dead GPU? I bought off Amazon Prime, so it shouldn’t be too hard to swap if possible

Last edited:
There is a chance the GPU is dead. That's why I suggested trying the old GPU in the new build and or the new GPU in the old build.

But let me ask this, do you see the disk activity light blinking on the case panel when you turn the machine on? Does it look like it's trying to boot but since there's no display you can't see it otherwise?

How many m.2 sockets do you have on that motherboard? Does the manual say you can use either one when using only one drive?

The light doesn’t blink whatsoever.

There are 2 M.2 sockets.

In the manual, it says

“For 3rd gen AMD Ryzen Processors, M.2_1 slots support PCIe 4.0 x4 mode and SATA mode M Key design and type 2242 / 2260 /228” storage devices.

For AMD B550 chipset, M.2_2 slot supports PCIe 3.0 x4 mode and SATA mode M Key design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 /22110 storage devices”

The SSD is currently in M.2_1

Okay, the m.2 thing seems to be as it should.

It feels more like a motherboard problem to me than a GPU but it would be relatively easily to try the other video card. Other than that, I've given you a list of troubleshooting steps to take so I suggest you go through them before you start ordering new parts. You need to eliminate as many possibilities as you can using the components that are compatible with both systems.

One other thing to try is to remove one stick of RAM and try both sticks one at a time in the appropriate RAM slot for single stick configuration.

I forgot to comment on the RAM.

Yeah I went back through and swapped them, and the manual says if using two, put them in 1&3 or 2&4, so they should be fine as well. I didn’t see any standoffs, I only seen 8 screw ports.

I forgot to comment on the RAM.

Yeah I went back through and swapped them, and the manual says if using two, put them in 1&3 or 2&4, so they should be fine as well. I didn’t see any standoffs, I only seen 8 screw ports.

The standoffs are the brass (usually they are brass but can be plastic) pegs that screw into the metal motherboard tray and that hold the motherboard up off that metal tray. Then screws go into the pegs from the top side of the motherboard to hold the board into place. Did you forget to install the standoffs before installing the motherboard? If so, the motherboard is shorting out on the metal tray beneath it.

Back