• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build a new pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Currently took it back apart, and I understand the stand-off part, let me check that out and see what happens

It's always a good idea to set up the system on a table top before you install the components in the case. That way if you have a bad component such as a motherboard you haven't wasted all the time it will take for disassembly for the RMA. We call this "bread-boarding" the system. It also bypasses the possibility of electrical shorts that can happen in the case.

Yeah, in college, we called them “benchmarks”

Really? We generally use the term "benchmark" to refer to the performance score when running various tests to check how well different system components such as the RAM, CPU and GPU perform when executing code.

Yep, the standoff. I misread, the manual showed the plans for an ATX, and in tiny writing, mentioned what to do for a microATX.

Once again, I appreciate all you’re help man! I’ve been dreaming of this since I was 12 to build one, and couldn’t have done without you.

God Bless!

You are welcome. For future reference, the easiest way to install the standoffs is just to observe the pattern of the mounting holes in the motherboard and then mirror them on the tray.

Is your ram set to XMP or AXMP (the Asus equivalent, I think to the generic term XMP). Check that and make sure your RAM is running at full speed. Oh, I see the report in your pics. Looks like it is full speed.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Enjoy your new system and report back with your impressions of it's performance compared to the old system.

God bless you and your family as well.

By the way, what is your current profession? Sounds like you took some tech courses at community college.

Certified Burger Flipper ;) Currently only have an Associates in IT, was 3 interviews deep in a pretty decent job when the virus came. I’m starting back this Fall to continue on towards a Bachelor’s in IT, so we will see how that goes

Say, could you do the forum community a favor and create a Signature with an outline of your system components. It travels with every post and is really helpful when threads get really long and people are trying to help you. They don't have to comb through the entire thread to get an idea of what you are working with. The tool is found in user Settings at the top of any forum page. Click on that and then look down the left side for "Edit Signature."

Yes, the COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc with careers. I'm gland I'm retired now. I was in Christian ministry for many years. The last 20 were spent on staff at a hospital as a chaplain. When I retired several years ago I started this computer repair business out of my home. I live in a large gated senior community where there are a lot of people with no tech savy. Most of my customer base is within walking distance. It keeps me busy in spurts and gives me some pocket money to spend on my tech addiction. I do it mostly to help people and to keep my mind sharp. I usually under charge since a lot of my customers are on fixed incomes.

Your'e preparing for a field in which there will always be jobs. Hang in there.

Yeah I’ll get it all updated tomorrow!

I greatly admire and appreciate what you do. One of my favorite professors is in a similar place as you; he does a lot of technical work for local churches free of charge, along with seminars to educate on phishing and scams. It’s great to see how people use their gifts to teach the next generation, or even the same generation for those searching for help.

We don’t have a ton of local opportunities around here, but we had 2 hospitals merge with a ton of openings within it. But they use Epic software and they send the hired employees to Wisconsin for about a week to learn the software then come back for a certification on it. I’ll probably try to head towards that, but as far as school, probably more so the Customer Service side

Where are you located? Sounds like it must be a small town/rural area. Is your life situation such that you are free to relocate if job opportunities presented themselves elsewhere?

We are in NE Tennessee, current population of our town is ~700. Being a rascal, we had an out of wedlock child when I was 18, but that lead me to church and motivation for school, so it worked out better in the end anyhow!

But not really in a place to relocate, but with the pandemic, I’ve been noticing more and more work-from-home opportunities

Not currently at my machine, but I went to turn it on and I was having an issue with the resolution on the monitor. One monitor said the input was not supported (HDMI), while the other suggested changing resolution to 1920 x 1080 60Hz. It was working on both the previous night, I updated windows and went to bed, and now this problem has arose. Any suggestions?

Congrats on the build, looks good.

HDMI can get a little wonky sometimes. Try unplugging cable from back of gpu and reconnecting.
You are set to 1920x1080@60Hz right?
Do you leave your PC on overnight? Guessing you've done a cold boot. Both monitors not working or just one? Are you getting video on bootup and just when it goes into Windows one or both cut out?

Download and install the latest gpu driver from AMD. Also, try a different HDMI cable. Those things are fairly fragile and I find I have to replace them now and then.

Last edited:
Download and install the latest gpu driver from AMD. Also, try a different HDMI cable. Those things are fairly fragile and I find I have to replace them now and then.

Yep, didn’t do anything and it’s working, possibly a driver hadn’t installed or something? I’ll post if it happens again.

Last edited:
Back