• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbkershaw

Many years ago I built this machine, I have since fell out of the loop and am not sure what the best options are. I am not a heavy gamer although I enjoy gaming I just do not have the time for it unfortunately. My main reason for wanting to upgrade my pc is to run a virtual machine with OSX to write iphone applications in xcode.

My current PC is a i7-2600k with a P8P67 PRO, AMD Raedon HD6900 Series, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD.

My main goal is to upgrade to a 16GB or 32GB RAM system to properly run OSX and Win 10 along with Virtual Devices such as iphone or Android Emulator.

Currently my motherboard P8P67 PRO only allows up to 8gb of RAM.

What are my best options? I think my graphics card is fine, maybe I'll add another SSD. Not looking to spend a fortune just looking for my best options.

Thanks!

I was hoping to keep my current processor and just to upgrade the motherboard aswell as the ram. Is it necessary to upgrade to a new gen i7? My understanding is that the i7-2600k is still quite powerful. My current build as listed above handles everything I currently do. I just think once I start running OSX Virtual Machine with iphone emulator there will not be enough memory and the it will be slow. As far as budget I do not really have one but if my current processor is fine why upgrade it?

I have installed OSX virtual machines and my experience (with a 4790k overclocked to 4.8 ghz and 16 gb of DDR3 RAM) was that certain functions like mouse scrolling are very choppy and with lots of lag. This is a known problem with OSX virtual machines and none of the supposed fixes worked. I finally built a Hackintosh which gave me a much, much better experience. Just like owning a true Mac if you choose your components wisely.

Back