• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low End A64 bargains to be had for the adventurous!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I guess we will know soon enough - hopefully by months end. As I stated the price list given by AMD is for socket 939 not 940.
Whether suppliers gouge to such an extent that it doubles the price I find quite implausible as even the highly desired X2s are only gouged by say 15 - 20%.
The mythical part was a joke (based on you saying we would never see it at USD125)!
As to you thinking its a typo - dont you think they would have rectified it on both their price list and the announcement they gave?

Last edited:
BeerHunter your comment about potential typo - got me to double checking and cross referencing the information. I checked the same release that was made by AMD Japan.

There they say the Opteron 144 is to be be released at 14375 Yen. Current exchange rates are approx 112 Yen to the USD which equates to USD128 so the price is seemingly accurate.

While this sounds great, I am still very skeptical that AMD would release an opteron 144 (what they would probably call a 3200+ if it was an athlon) for less than a 3000+. Historically, the equivalent server and workstation chips have been a lot costlier than their desktop brethren.

But, I guess it may be possible. If you were getting 1 processor servers or workstations, why shell out more for the exact same athlon processor that is rebadged? Those people would have more of a clue than your average jane buying a desktop. If you were buying desktops (and you weren't in the know ;)), you wouldn't buy an opteron, even if it was cheaper than your athlon64. I just don't see compaq or gateway shoving opterons now in their desktops and desktop replacement laptops.

"...meant for..." (l0l)

Around here they're meant to be overclocked. :)

c627627 said:
"...meant for..." (l0l)

Around here they're meant to be overclocked. :)
my thoughts too :p

has anyone ordered one yet??? i would but i don't have the money to upgrade :(

If they release a $125 1.8Ghz 1mb lvl2 cache chip it will be deal of century. Even better than XP mobiles were. You're talking a potential FX-57 for $125. Dual core?? pfft. Call me when games are written for them. Intel rode that hyperthreading scam out for two years now and I'm not about to buy into it with AMD.

i dont believe amd marketed the x2 to gamers, period. it's for people that actually do work on their computers, and it is at that where they have already proven themselves.

Ahh, nostalgia. I remember seeing refurbed opty 140s for around 100 bucks on 'egg a year or two ago, thinking i should build a system off em. I would've, too, if i didnt need to buy new memory.

kwago said:
i dont believe amd marketed the x2 to gamers, period. it's for people that actually do work on their computers, and it is at that where they have already proven themselves.

Hey man I do plenty of work on my computer, like every day. Thing is even a Athlon 1600 could handle it. Excel, write papers, web browsing and other stuff. All I even need horsepower for is games.

You're talking about workstation work. how many of you guys really do that to nessesitate an X2? I'd say not much. I don't know anyone in my quad in dorms that does that kind of work. Therefore I conclude this X2 thing is a fad until real and all applications are written to take advantage of both cores. Games multithreaded for me personally, because again, all I need horsepower for is games and would be perfectly happy with my old stock mobile XP 99% of the time when not gaming.

BeerHunter said:
Hey man I do plenty of work on my computer, like every day. Thing is even a Athlon 1600 could handle it. Excel, write papers, web browsing and other stuff. All I even need horsepower for is games.

You're talking about workstation work. how many of you guys really do that to nessesitate an X2? I'd say not much. I don't know anyone in my quad in dorms that does that kind of work. Therefore I conclude this X2 thing is a fad until real and all applications are written to take advantage of both cores. Games multithreaded for me personally, because again, all I need horsepower for is games and would be perfectly happy with my old stock mobile XP 99% of the time when not gaming.

You say that the X2 is not for gamers but that is exactly why I would like to have one. I use my system hard. My primary target is gaming but looking at the FX57 vs X2 4800+, I would get the 4800+ simply because games are not all I use my system for. Try to encode a divx/dvd or render a maya or 3dsmax sceen while trying to do anything else. It is intened for multitasking even if one of those tasks is a game. I consider workstation work to be like 3dsmax or maya., video encoding,audio editing, multitracking and the such. If you do not need tio do more than 1 thing at a time then I agree that the X2 is not worth the price.

Petr said:
There is the official price list - here

No question they will release 144 for $125 because they already did. And it is already available for order in some shops for the expected price.

Sure 940 always was. I'm searching Google daily for OEM: OSA144DAA5BN
BOXED: OSA144BNBOX, the 939 variants..if really $125 this is definity next chip to have. Woot!

I'd give it a go for that cheap.

My 2 questions will be BIOS comaptibility and 1GB memory limit?

I don't think the memory controller are different, so is the 1GB max on the Sun site just a warning(not supported) of "going over 1GB should have ECC for workstation/server work."

Hopefully as long as they aren't "meant" for desktops they may be cheaper. AMD wouldn't want to hurt sales of their own chips, but as long as they are bought by the mainstream for servers and such we might find our pricepoint... I can only dream.

Back