• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lower out pump = lower or higher temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Milkman

Lower output pump = lower or higher temps?

I recently purchased a maxi-jet 1200 and would like to swap it over, I am currently running a Via Aqua 1300 and it is obvious that the Maxi has lower output,how will this effect my temps? I am running the system in my sig for other components, The Maxi having lower output may allow the coolant to stay in my core slightly longer possibly helping temps, I Idle around 35c and load temps are around 42c. Give me your thoughts.

-Mike

Last edited:
There is an excellent thread, I believe in the cooling stickies about the effect of flowrate on a WC system. To summarize what my limited thermo knowledge allowed me to pick up is that generally a higher flowrate will lead to lower temps, because heat transfered is proportional to the temperature differential between the transfer medium(air, water) and the materials(block, rad) That being said, depending on what the difference in flowrate between those two pumps actually is, and what the heat difference they produce is, it wouldn't seem to this newb like you would see too big a difference, provided your block and rad aren't super flow resistant. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am after all a newb who isn't even WCing yet.

Smithers

I believe they both have around the same head rating... On normal temp monitoring equipment, there is not a chance that you would be able to detect a temp difference. If you DO see a difference, it is certainly due to mounting variances.

yep, it just doesn't work that way.
Plus, testing shows that increase flow rate only seems to improve the cooling, but it gets to a point where that its not really worth it.
switching to maxijet is probably for the best. Flow rate @ 0ft is not what really matters, its the head that maters and between the via and maxi there is only a 3" difference. Pumps also give off heat as well, and the maxi is 8watts less then the via which also makes it better. I don't think you'll have any difference in temp though.

I've been reading on various threads about pumps, flow-rates, heads,... And I am starting to consider the maxi-jet pumps as they seem to have a very good performance/price ratio.

The question is: Isn't the Maxi-jet 900 a better choice w/ 235 GPH and only 8watts vs. the 1200 w/ 295 GPH at 20 Watts?

I am thinking less wattage = less heat into the system! And after reading many threads, any pump > 150 GPH has sufficient flowrate. Maybe it the question been answered, but I've been searching for a while...

i have a maxijet.. if you get one, be sure to have some goop handy to seal it for inline use.

Back