• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lowering temps with blowholes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tebore

How much of a temp drop should I expect by adding 2 120mm in to the side panel and having and 80mm as a blowhole on top of the case. One of the 120 will be pointing directly at the CPU HSF. I need to know from ppl who have added fans like this to give a few pointers, tips and results. I'll be cutting out chunks of metal.

if you have strong air I/O then you can have up to 20 degrees less. my first computer didnt have ANY intake our outtake, and it went from 66 cpu temp to 45 when i added 2 120mm (one for in and one for out).
if u dont have proper air flow then you may want to add a couple of fans :D

Even from just an 80mm intake blowhole directly above the HSF, running at just about 1700 RPM, I still get a couple of degrees (C) difference. And this is on a Tualatin-core PIII, which generally tends to run cool, anyway.

-- Paul

Cool so I should expect to get about a 5 degrees diff. I have pretty poor Air I/O right now. Ne suggests on quiet but high CFM 120mm? I have a question about mounting the 80mm blow hole so close to my PSU, will the 80mm blowhole near the PSU intake grill affect the air stream the PSU pulls?

what other exhausts do you have? I had two 120's going in (one cpu duct, one front intake) and 3 low volume 80's going out back. The temps actually dropped more when I disconnected the 120 in the front, cause there was too much positive air pressure in the case. I would have one of the 120's blowing in on the cpu, one blowing in on the agp and the 120 blowing out the top. Adding a duct might give you a couple extra degrees for the cpu.

I have 1 50 CFM sunon as exhaust with the PSU. The case was not made for OCing. This is gonna be my first case mod( worried to try ne thing with limited hand tools). I was just worried about disrupting airflow but from what i hear the 120 will be push enough air not to mess up the air flow. THX all

if you dont mind the fan being on the outside of the case, i'd recomment putting it there because it reduces turbulence and noise and cpu temps as a result (at least in my experience)

The 120 will deffinately push a lot of air, but it could push more with some reinforcing suction. Also, if you have too much positive case pressure as I had, you'll end up with air blowing out through the cdrom bays. (It really annoyed me, but maybe not you) If you haven't already cut the case, i would strongly invest in a hole saw. I dremmeled mine and ended up taking forever and looking like crap. :D

Back