• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m.2 questions... lots of questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I've sort of been living in a cave for the last few years, so I haven't been on the forum much in the last few years. Well, imagine my surprise when I learned about m.2 just a couple of days ago. One article I read yesterday said if you're shopping for a m.2 drive: "Welcome to the cutting edge! You’re shopping for a kind of drive that most folks don’t even realize exists."

I must admit that I'm a little gun shy with SSD. I tried a SSD (2.5" SATA drive) seven years ago on a new build and it died within days. I'm assuming newer versions are vastly improved and are more reliable nowadays.

I don't plan to upgrade my computer immediately, but I will do a complete overhaul in a few months. I will most likely get an Asus motherboard that allow the m.2 drives to run on the PCI-E bus. My understanding that is a lot faster than the more common way of running them on the SATA bus. So... I have a few questions.

1) I'd like to use the m.2 as a boot drive for the OS (still on Win 7, but will likely use Win 10 when I upgrade). Any drawbacks to using a m.2 as a boot drive?

2) If you install two m.2 modules, does it show up in the BIOS as one drive or as two? Can it be configured into partitions like a HDD?

3) Just a few minutes ago I read an article that says you can run these m.2 drives in a RAID setup. Anyone here on the forum try that yet? If so, how did it work? Not really serious about SSD RAID, but I'd like to know more.

4) I've heard the Samsung 960 Pro is the one to get, yes or no?

5) Are prices trending up or down right now?

1. Nope.
2. Two.. like all drives would.
2a. Yes. It is no different than a HDD or SATA connected SSD.
3. Yes. Works fine, but there are bandwidth limitations on mosts systems so you do not get double the seq reads.
4. That one of them
5. Not sure. Look at PCPartipicker trends and see.

Edit: just a note, a sata m.2 drive wont perform any better on a pcie slot... you woll want an nvme based drive like the 960 evo or pro, patriot hellfire, oc rd400...etc

Last edited:
Thank you, quick and concise.

Looks like prices have stayed fairly stable over the last several months.

Recommendations if the 960 Pro is not the absolute best? Which ones to avoid like the plague?

about any will do, the two I can speak to are the sammy 960 evo and the pny, they are about even in day to day use, that's nvme, pcie, much fast, you'll only notice at boot, but you'll notice.
m.2 sata is just another shape of sata ssd.
my take, just go sata, in 24/7 use you'll never see the gains that pcie provides.
enterprise software that needs fast storage is a cow with other horns.

other notes, sammy has some of the best software, pny has just released software and drivers.
owning the sammy's and pny's, the reviews say the pny is slower at this, that and the other, yea, right, in day to day use I can't tell.

Last edited:
Like any other upgrade, what will you be using it for, i.e., what other than the OS will you be loading most often? If you're surfing the web mostly you won't know the difference in day to day use. If you are loading Photoshop or launching an entire album of family pictures from the m.2 you'll definitely notice the difference.

Honestly, I don't normally torture my computer's HDD too often. I sometimes do edit and produce short videos. My mom passed away last November, so sis and I are working on the family photos (scanning, restoration, and organization). I don't like to wait when I'm working on a project. Additionally, it seems like I have to wait a lot when I'm doing routine file backups. I would love a faster drive. Oh yeah, you know what I mean. I'm talking "snap your neck" fast. The old harddrive full of platters that spin and are noisy and wear out and sometimes catastrophically crash, has been a huge bottleneck and weak link in PCs for years. I think the hardrives are "kaput" (a technical term I know). Back in the good ole days, I had two WD 10,000 RPM Raptors in a striped RAID array. I loved how "snappy" the computer felt. I know m.2 is currently below the radar of the average consumer, but my batty senses are tingling. SSD drives will be the wave of the not so distant future. Bye, bye, HDDs. Mark my words. How many years did we have USB ports before it suddenly took off like wildfire?

Wow, I wrote a book. Regarding the m.2 solid state drives. After more research, I still think the Samsung 960 Pro is leading the competition, but that said, you can't go wrong with its cousin either, the Samsung Evo (you'll save about $50 on a 512GB drive ). In the future, if I decide I need more drive performance, I can always put a RAID together with a couple m.2 drives. I'm about done with the SATA bus. Lose it like we lost the floppy drives.

I think the hardrives are "kaput" (a technical term I know). Bye, bye, HDDs. Mark my words. How many years did we have USB ports before it suddenly took off like wildfire?

In the future, if I decide I need more drive performance, I can always put a RAID together with a couple m.2 drives. I'm about done with the SATA bus. Lose it like we lost the floppy drives.

The now-being-demoed m.2s are a tad wider, same 2280, but will be able to host 1 & 2TB capacities. No doubt enterprises will adopt them first, but I love the trickle down. I can't remember where I read the article this morning, but the gist of it is a couple of these drives in RAID were running at 15GB/s reads, 14GB/s writes. Host controller is capable of RAID 1/5/10/30/60. From other reading, the fabs are converting to 3D nand and shortages (causing the current price bubble) are expected to go away within a year.

Great analogy (USB) there.:cool:

Bat if you are still using Spining drives any SSD will be a noticeable upgrade , Boot times , Install times , load times on games and programs .

No reason not to go M.2 if your Mb supports it it frees up 2 extra wires in your case.
The 960 in the goto drive for ppl to recommend but there are many decent drives .

I would get @ least a 500gig drive .
I have only had SSDs in my system for a few years now so i forget what its like until you use someones system without one ...

Samsung 960 Evo should do the job for you from the sounds of it. Don't need to go the pro IMO. (Though extra warranty on the pro may be worth it to you, even if the performance is negligible)

HDD's are still king of mass storage, that being said I personally run 2 Sata SSDs on Z87 chipset, with 256GB boot, 1TB storage.. I have an external NAS with 2x3tb drives for movies, series, etc.

I'm now the proud owner of a Sammy 960 Pro 512 GB m.2 drive. It's kind of funny, newegg had a promo code that "saved" me $10, so they suckered me in and I bought the SSD. Ok, I can live with the fact I have nothing at the moment that I can use this in.. lol. But, I can't find that $10 I saved. I've looked everywhere too. No worries, I'll put that m.2 drive to work at the end of the month or first week of September when I upgrade my main rig.

Yeppers, I have a perfectly good 1T Seagate Barracuda that is only two years old. That will be my mass storage. The m.2 SSD will be the boot/OS drive. Hey, I'm moving up in the world. A week ago I had never heard of m.2 drives.

Last edited:
HDDs are definitely not going anywhere. While SSDs continue to clobber them harder and harder in terms of performance (though they ran into new bottlenecks a while ago that render much of the enhanced performance un-noticed in most situations), reliability is a big problem, as they have a tendency to die unexpectedly and suddenly, with no evidence they would, on average, outlast the HDD. HDD death seems to be more predictable and consistent, on average, though they certainly can die suddenly too.

The "good" news is that it seems that minus intentionally synthetically wearing them down, death/deterioration due to wearing out flash memory seems to take much longer than death to random causes (probably quality issues keeping costs down). It would appear even chip type makes no difference in these terms since the units won't last long enough for it to become an issue, except in very niche cases

I know with my new system I'll have stuff set up to constantly back up certain things on my SSD, both to HDD and cloud. Of course as more $ rolls in I'll also be wanting to mirror the HDD entirely. If money was unlimited I'd always be mirroring persistent storage devices at the very least, but I'm a po man

Slightly Off topic, your avatar reminds me of what I probably look like when accidentally exposed to natural light

HDDs are definitely not going anywhere. While SSDs continue to clobber them harder and harder in terms of performance (though they ran into new bottlenecks a while ago that render much of the enhanced performance un-noticed in most situations), reliability is a big problem, as they have a tendency to die unexpectedly and suddenly, with no evidence they would, on average, outlast the HDD. HDD death seems to be more predictable and consistent, on average, though they certainly can die suddenly too.

You make some valid points. I'm thankful my previous harddrive gave me some advance warning that it was getting ready to croak. It gave me just enough time to do all my backups. That first sentence though, "HDDs are definitely not going anywhere." I disagree a bit. This is the beginning of the end for the old slow and noisy harddrive. I do agree this will not happen overnight. HDDs will be around for a few more years in the desktop side, but just look at the laptop scene, all but the el cheapos lappies are using SSD nowadays.

Arial density is still growing in HDDs. IBM and a collaborator just announced a drive with 330TB of data/square inch, a valuable tool for huge data centers if it gets to market. Archive.org has 360 billion web pages archived and there are many other examples of huge data storage needs that easily come to mind. Solid state storage is making rapid advances but it's hard to imagine that it will catch up to those kinds of numbers for some years to come. So HDDs probably won't go away any time soon. The controllers and interfaces may change connectivity, but otherwise......my 2¢.

I can usually read typo pretty good, but arial stopped me in my tracks while I was pondering if it was supposed to read aerial. Duh, I finally got it, you meant areal.

It's a lot of speculation I guess, but I think the change will start gradual and then sweep into a huge storm, maybe sooner than you think. But, I've been wrong before. ;)

That's what I love about storage technology. HDDs are great because they die reliably, SDDs are great because they die too fast to wear out their memory. The entire industry just gives me a warm tingly glow inside

One issue frequently overlooked by buyers of M.2 drives is their endurance ratings. In short the non-MLC options can kind of stink on some products. The Samsung EVO in particular looks a whole lot more appealing if you disregard the TBW(Terabytes Written) rating. This generally increases with higher capacity, but it can still be fairly unappealing for those of us that frequently do a lot of sustained sequential writes that can wear out a TLC based SSD in fairly short order.

OP, I see you went with the 512GB 960Pro...a good choice. It has a TBW that's 400...twice that of the EVO of the same capacity. I was considering the 960Pro 1TB(800TBW) myself, but in the end couldn't justify the greater cost/gb and lower TBW/GB vs the MLC based MyDigitalSSD BPX and went with that.

Fairly short order???? It took 2.5PTB written to kill the drives longest lasting drives. That is 24/7/547(18 months in days) of writes to do so. Some were less, in the several hundred TBW range, but, i dont imagine 1 in 10,00 users of an ssd need to worry about writes.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Are you one in 1000+ that writes dozens of GB a day every day? What are you doing? :)

Last edited:
I've sort of been living in a cave for the last few years, so I haven't been on the forum much in the last few years. Well, imagine my surprise when I learned about m.2 just a couple of days ago. One article I read yesterday said if you're shopping for a m.2 drive: "Welcome to the cutting edge! You’re shopping for a kind of drive that most folks don’t even realize exists."

I must admit that I'm a little gun shy with SSD. I tried a SSD (2.5" SATA drive) seven years ago on a new build and it died within days. I'm assuming newer versions are vastly improved and are more reliable nowadays.

I don't plan to upgrade my computer immediately, but I will do a complete overhaul in a few months. I will most likely get an Asus motherboard that allow the m.2 drives to run on the PCI-E bus. My understanding that is a lot faster than the more common way of running them on the SATA bus. So... I have a few questions.

1) I'd like to use the m.2 as a boot drive for the OS (still on Win 7, but will likely use Win 10 when I upgrade). Any drawbacks to using a m.2 as a boot drive?

2) If you install two m.2 modules, does it show up in the BIOS as one drive or as two? Can it be configured into partitions like a HDD?

3) Just a few minutes ago I read an article that says you can run these m.2 drives in a RAID setup. Anyone here on the forum try that yet? If so, how did it work? Not really serious about SSD RAID, but I'd like to know more.

4) I've heard the Samsung 960 Pro is the one to get, yes or no?

5) Are prices trending up or down right now?

I know most of these were answered but I am going to try going into a bit more detail for the OP here:

1) No disadvantages of using an M2 as a boot drive. Be sure that your M2 slot supports both SATA and PCI-E. PCI-E are what NVME drives use and are B keyed not A and B. Some slots support A+B, B, A, or only one or the other. This is more an issue in laptops than desktops. My Alienware supports both A+B SATA3 drives and B keyed NVME drives.

2) That depends on the configuration, unless otherwise specified on a PC that is already booted if it is configured for RAID 960s have a bug where they will not show as visible in Windows unless they are set to AHCI. As for the drives themselves yes that is correct you can treat them as normal drives and behave the same way. The only difference is how they show up in the PCH hierarchy ie SATA or PCI-E.

3) Yes you can RAID them and yes I have! There are multiple advantages to RAID but the poors don't like to hear them. First running drives in RAID disperses the load and reduces SOC temps on the HDD controller. This is especially important with NVME drives, not so much SATA3. It is not uncommon for NVME drives like the 960PRO to overheat within a few seconds of use so it is IMPERATIVE that they are cooled with a large heatsink. There are multiple kits available, buy one. Thermal throttling occurs at 80C and it is not uncommon for drives to idle at 60C or higher, the bigger you can find the better, active cooling is also recommended if possible. You wont get quite double without hardware RAID like an LSI but it will come close to maxing out the bandwidth and give you around 4k read and 3k write with two drives. The only disadvantage is that access time (latency) is increased.

4) Ooooook fun time here....

Alright if you remember the best SSDs were SLC, followed by MLC and most of the ****ty drives that failed were MLC, that has evolved now to include TLC or three layer cell. Here are how most drives are configured (using yours as an example). You have your SOC (system-on-a-chip) which is an ARM processor, in your case it is a 5 core called Polaris. Polaris has 4 real cores and a fabric controller similar to Threadripper. When you write to the drive it his a 2gb RAM of DDR3, that then gets passed to an SLC cache chip. That SLC chip holds 22GB and is blazingly fast which is how you get your high read and write speeds. Once you exceed this cache buffer it then has to write directly to its 64 layer MLC V-NAND storage array. When that happens your read/write speeds go into the toilet, probably close to 700-900 read/write or so. This is why RAID0 on NVME is worth it! When you do heavy sequential writes it minimizes the hit you take writing directly to the array. Why the 960 is praised is that Samsung's VNAND is the fastest MLC/TLC available and is far better than everyone elses. The reason why the 960PRO is better than the 960EVO is because the PRO uses MLC (2 bits per cell) as opposed to TLC (3). That greatly increases its write endurance and is why most people consider the 960EVO a paper tiger because of it's high failure rate from the TLC array.

Now to answer your question is the 960PRO the best? It depends. In a laptop? Hell the **** no!!! Do NOT use one in a laptop, they use WAY too much power and throw off almost 8W by itself which makes it the 2nd or 3rd hottest thing in a PC. In a desktop where power and cooling isn't restrictive? Absollutely! I'm waiting for Toshiba XG5 or Samsung Phoenix controller to hit before I move to NVME for the above reason. The drive speeds wont be much faster but in the case of the XG5 vs the XG3 the 5th gen uses less than half the power on load and almost 1/10th the power when idling. That brings the power and heat down enough in my mind to justify going with NVME and move off SATA.

5) Up.....waaaaaaay up until the iPhone is launched.

Fairly short order???? It took 2.5PTB written to kill the drives longest lasting drives. That is 24/7/547(18 months in days) of writes to do so. Some were less, in the several hundred TBW range, but, i dont imagine 1 in 10,00 users of an ssd need to worry about writes.

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Are you one in 1000+ that writes dozens of GB a day every day? What are you doing? :)

The Evo sucks plain and simple and should be avoided. I'd rather take my chances on an XG3 with slower speeds then having a catastrophic failure tons of information showing that TLC's endurance is no where near advertised.

Last edited:
Back