• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M4A785TD-V EVO wild voltage fluctuation range

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

Just wanted to ask for some opinions on whether or not my board is borked or what. Right now i'm running a vcore set at 1.4625v with LLC 0% and cpu vdda 2.8v. However my vcore has been fluctuating like crazy since i first bought it.
heres a screen:
voltageallovertheplace2.jpg

as u can see my voltage is dropping as low as 1.41v and as high as 1.63v. The data was taken over a 7 hour period.

now i know some will point to my LLC (load line calibration) being on. I have also read that voltages will spike and in general should be turned off for high voltage overclocks. However, i have the same issues with it off. The voltages will still fluctuate over a ~.2v range.

Secondly turning off LLC results in the idle voltages to be much higher than needed for a stable overclock because it needs to be high enough such that it doesn't become unstable under LOAD. For example an oc of 4ghz w/ LLC off requires a voltage of 1.65v. Idle voltages are ~1.6v while under load the voltage drops all the way down to 1.4Xv!

These voltage issues have basically made my life hell when overclocking above 4ghz. Is this normal. Or is there rly something wrong w/ my board.

I'd say there's something wrong with the board. It has 8+2 power, which should be fine but obviously isn't. No way there should be that much fluctuation - especially below 1.55v. I've seen some issue when pushing 1.6v or more, but you're below 1.5v even, there shouldn't be any issues like that at all.

The only thing I'd ask is - is there good airflow over the MOSFET coolers? If they're getting hot that could cause a problem. If they're just warm and have good flow then I'd start the RMA process ...

I did add a fan over the mosfets after noticing that it was blazing hot. they're only warm now. but i'm worried that when i ran into an issue with the computer a couple months back and the chipset and mosfets basically hit 50c on my case temp diode that it may have dmged the board.

50°C is pretty warm but I wouldn't think that would be enough to kill a board. Guess you never know, though. I had a new Biostar pop a MOSFET and it wasn't even hot. It was pretty warm but not what I'd call hot ...

Back