• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magnetic-Tipped Screwdriver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Are magnetic tipped screw drivers bad?
I have a screw driver here that is SLIGHTLY magnetic, so very slightly. It holds onto those metal scrapings but will not hold a screw itself. I used the screwdriver to screw in my motherboard and put on the heatsink and my computer is fine.

On the other hand, i have a powerdrill that is magnetic and can hold a screw. I used it to put the new fans into my case because its hard to make the threads. I also used it to put in the drive rails and the hard drive on. Everything seems to be working flawlessly.

If everythings so good. Then why do some poeple say NEVER to use a magnetic screwdriver/powerdrill?

Poll (sorta): Do you use a magnetic screwdriver/powerdrill?

I have used magnetic screwdrivers in computers for years. (I tend to lose screws otherwise) As long as you don't wave it all over some capacitors or something you will be just fine.

Not sure if you should trust my advice, though. I like wear socks, on carpet, holding a cat, without a grounding strap, when working on my computer. :p

I would avoid using a magnetic screwdriver because it could potentially damage certain magnetically sensitive components in your computer. If you don't have another option I would not worry too much about using one. I have always used a magnetic screwdriver while assembling computers, and have not had a single problem so far (knock on wood).

Been using magnetic (non powered) screwdrivers for years to build PC's never had a problem. Not necessary to use powered screwdriver to build a PC, but a ratcheting screwdriver is sometimes useful.

I use magnetic screwdrivers all the time, my main one even has a magnet behinde the tip which you can extend 3 feet to pick up screws you drop... this magnet will pick up a a large pair of wire cutters easily.... so its a fairly strong magnet. I have used it for years and never had any problems.

Didn't think so. The powerdrill is only to quicken the process. I only have the standard screwdriver and not a racheting one. Wish i did, its way easier. Helps when trying to screw in fans. Damn is tough.

Tyreal said:
Didn't think so. The powerdrill is only to quicken the process. I only have the standard screwdriver and not a racheting one. Wish i did, its way easier. Helps when trying to screw in fans. Damn is tough.

I can't stand the ratcheting ones, they are a royal pain in the arse... manual is the way to go. You need to build up some strength if you think putting in fan screws is tough :p I used to work as an industrial mechanic and put in hundreds of screws and bolts every day.... mostly by hand, not with power tools.... fan screws are a breeze.

JDXNC said:
I can't stand the ratcheting ones, they are a royal pain in the arse... manual is the way to go. You need to build up some strength if you think putting in fan screws is tough :p I used to work as an industrial mechanic and put in hundreds of screws and bolts every day.... mostly by hand, not with power tools.... fan screws are a breeze.

Amen.

Live up to the true man's way!

MANUAL!

squasher said:
people who say that have no idea what they are talking about. Look at the inside of a hdd and you will never phear t3h m4gn3t again

a nice little quote for Em-PFHA-sis. :santa:

but mind you screwdriver =tiny magnet when the system is off=no prob.
i wouldnt have much concern if i wanted to put a small fridge magnet in my case but:

big magnets and/or system on=badness.
when the moving parts are not moving, the magnets are somewhat less of an issue.
for example-i have a NIB magnet the size of $12 cheesburger. its good for around 40LBS.
it does not come indoors. ive damaged planty of electronics with it as it is.
ive found the damage zone is about 2 feet, and catastrophic failure begins around 8 inches. 4 inches kills stuff instantly, and 0 inches is guilding the lilly.

in any event, small magnets like that are probably ok.
get crazy with a big magnet, and its bad.

SolidxSnake said:
Amen.

Live up to the true man's way!

MANUAL!

Well. Sure. Its easy enough to put them in. It just ****es me off when i have more than 5 fans in a case and i got to put them all in. Its just way faster with a powerdrill.

The small magnets in a hard drive will give a blood blister if you happen to get your finger inbtween a set. The speaker inside you case has a magnet.
The low field a tip will put out is miniscule. Just show a bit more care with that piece of metal, than you would with a ceramic tip. I am more worried about jabbing components, loosing screws that is hard to get, then magnetism.

Enablingwolf said:
The small magnets in a hard drive will give a blood blister if you happen to get your finger inbtween a set. The speaker inside you case has a magnet.
The low field a tip will put out is miniscule. Just show a bit more care with that piece of metal, than you would with a ceramic tip. I am more worried about jabbing components, loosing screws that is hard to get, then magnetism.

So true.

I'd never be able to install my zalman 7000Cu without a magnetic tipped driver, no WAY i could get to the screws

orionlion82 said:
a nice little quote for Em-PFHA-sis. :santa:

but mind you screwdriver =tiny magnet when the system is off=no prob.
i wouldnt have much concern if i wanted to put a small fridge magnet in my case but:

big magnets and/or system on=badness.
when the moving parts are not moving, the magnets are somewhat less of an issue.
for example-i have a NIB magnet the size of $12 cheesburger. its good for around 40LBS.
it does not come indoors. ive damaged planty of electronics with it as it is.
ive found the damage zone is about 2 feet, and catastrophic failure begins around 8 inches. 4 inches kills stuff instantly, and 0 inches is guilding the lilly.

in any event, small magnets like that are probably ok.
get crazy with a big magnet, and its bad.

You should see some of the magnets we have a the shop for lifting raw steel. They are about 6" x 12" rectangular, and are good for 400lbs at 1" thick.... thickness of the piece being lifted greatly effects the capacity of the magnet.

They looks something like this one seen here:

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/458884

Last edited:
JDXNC said:
You should see some of the magnets we have a the shop for lifting raw steel. They are about 6" x 12" rectangular, and are good for 400lbs at 1" thick.... thickness of the piece being lifted greatly effects the capacity of the magnet.

They looks something like this one seen here:

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/458884

I wanna see what a computer will do with that thing sitting next to it :D

zip22 said:
no its fine. i have a huge magnet sitting inside my case.

Me too. :cool: It's practically touching my soundcard, and is inches away from my video card. I'm talking about the pump for my water cooling btw. ;)

Don't worry about a magnetic screwdriver. :) Though using a power screwdriver is a bad idea. You are just asking to strip out threads, and round out screw heads with that. The screws in computers are small, and aren't usually made out of very high quality metal. That makes them particularly easy to damage.

ZachM said:
Me too. :cool: It's practically touching my soundcard, and is inches away from my video card. I'm talking about the pump for my water cooling btw. ;)

Don't worry about a magnetic screwdriver. :) Though using a power screwdriver is a bad idea. You are just asking to strip out threads, and round out screw heads with that. The screws in computers are small, and aren't usually made out of very high quality metal. That makes them particularly easy to damage.
When I did some project work at a local computer shop, they had me assembling computers (150 or so) and they handed me a rechargable power screwdriver and that was what I used...

never had trouble stripping out screws or rounding the heads on them :shrug:

also made the job go a million times faster than with a hand screwdriver.

Back