• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Magnetic-Tipped Screwdriver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Like others I also use magnetic tip screwdrivers, and havent friend/broke anything inside my pc :) you just have to be careful.

I would love to have a craftsman electric srewdriver. A boss who supplies electric tools has to be halfway cool. All my bosses made me buy my own tools. But that was the is the trades I was in.

I just use the nearest screwdriver i see. Whether it is magnetic or not.
Yes i know i am lazy.

Speaking of magnets, this reminds me of when i was in second grade. We were doing a science project with magnets, and we had to find something in the room that was magnetic. So, i decided to try the computer! When i stuck the magnet on the back of the computer, the bluescreen of death came up on ALL of the computers in the room. Then i took the magnet off and they all rebooted. It was pretty funny but i got in big trouble. :p

Kids: never attempt to do something stupid like this even though you will probably do it anyways. :santa:

actually i don't think the magnet in on the tip. thats reinforced steel. the magnet is actually inside the handle and its magnetic power runs through the metal shaft and into the tip. its like making a magnetic chain of paperclips.

just my 2 cnts keep t3h change

i hear alot of people say dont use them yes,but

it is so small the magetic field it creats is soo small

i use my Snap-on magnetic ratchet driver on the riser screws all the time and have built 15 or so compuiters with it and have never had a problem
remember when people buy a computer they come with a speaker in it (at least used too)
and that is much larger than a screwdriver tip

threeme2189 said "actually i don't think the magnet in on the tip. thats reinforced steel. the magnet is actually inside the handle and its magnetic power runs through the metal shaft and into the tip. its like making a magnetic chain of paperclips."

um i want all my money back and then some lol

A fun and easy way to magnetize any screwdriver.

Wrap a piece of insulated wire around the shaft of your tool (haha no jokes!!). Then use a 9volt battery and hold for 10+ seconds. Done now it will hold screws for you. You can do needles like this for a simple compass. I think it has to be steel or Iron for this to work.
I don't think you need to have the mag at the top of the driver. The whole shaft is magnetic. If it is a true magentic tip driver it will look like the pic below.

Here is my magnetic tip driver(the big one). Then a driver I mag'ed for PC work.

pict00517lw.jpg

threeme2189 said:
actually i don't think the magnet in on the tip. thats reinforced steel. the magnet is actually inside the handle and its magnetic power runs through the metal shaft and into the tip. its like making a magnetic chain of paperclips.

i believe you are right 'cause i have magnetic screwdrivers without the special tip.

I worked at dell building pc's for a summer once. We used magnetic air drills, so you should be fine.

I've used magnetic screwdrivers in PC's for years without incident.

JDXNC said:
I can't stand the ratcheting ones, they are a royal pain in the arse... manual is the way to go. You need to build up some strength if you think putting in fan screws is tough :p I used to work as an industrial mechanic and put in hundreds of screws and bolts every day.... mostly by hand, not with power tools.... fan screws are a breeze.

SolidxSnake said:
Amen.

Live up to the true man's way!

MANUAL!

Here, here! Putting fan screws in is easy compared to a set of cyinder head bolts. :p

Using a power drill for PC screws is just asking for stripped threads IMhO.
And you're never gonna build up any hand strength that way.

Susquehannock said:
Using a power drill for PC screws is just asking for stripped threads IMhO.

I don't see this being a problem if you adjust the drill not to over torque the screws.

Back