• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Manual TJ MAX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidArrogance

I've got an e6850 stable and smooth as butter at 3.7

I've always used Core Temp which gives me idles in the low 50's and Orthos runs into the high 60's. This is always as safe as I've felt pushing it.

Today I started reading about the differences between Real Temp and Core Temp and I read you should set your TJ Max manually? According to this my E6850 ought to be set at 80? So I download Real Temp, set my TJ Max to 80 and I'm idling in the mid 30's Orthosing in the mid to high 40s??? Is this for real? :shock:

E6850 @ 3.7, corsair h50 with two yate loons in push/pull intake setup

Also, how do I set TJ Max manually in Core Temp?

I've got an e6850 stable and smooth as butter at 3.7

I've always used Core Temp which gives me idles in the low 50's and Orthos runs into the high 60's. This is always as safe as I've felt pushing it.

Today I started reading about the differences between Real Temp and Core Temp and I read you should set your TJ Max manually? According to this my E6850 ought to be set at 80? So I download Real Temp, set my TJ Max to 80 and I'm idling in the mid 30's Orthosing in the mid to high 40s??? Is this for real? :shock:

E6850 @ 3.7, corsair h50 with two yate loons in push/pull intake setup

Also, how do I set TJ Max manually in Core Temp?

Nope, dont set it manually. I had an E6850 with a calibrated thermocouple properly embedded in IHS, and with tjmax set to 80, IHS temp was about 8C higher than core temps, which is obviously impossible.

65nm cpus it was tjmax "targets" that were published, and intel slides clearly stated that all were set higher than listed. Benson a senior engineer at intel responded the same about my pic with IHS temp higher than core temp using incorrect tjmax of 80, he simply stated tjmax listed was target and they were set higher.

45nm chips have accurate published tjmax temps as do all i7's where tjmax is also readable.

That being said E6850 also suffered from inaccurate idle temps as sensors are not linear. So just use tjmax already set by real temp/core temp and ignore idle temps. your load temps without changing tjmax are probably accurate. And regardless of temps, you are 40C from tjmax at load anyways, which for sure is accurate.

holy dust bunnies batman!

I just cracked my case to work on something else and noticed my rad was CAKED with dust. I'm surprised I had any air movement (assuming I did have any!). Cleaned that puppy up and added a mesh cover to the outside of the intake. Now idling in the high 30s orthosing in mid 50s. No wonder my temps were crap . . . . :facepalm:

Back