• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Marathon SII: January 3DMark 05

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stress test? You are in the benching section man! You stress tested it already by completing the benchmark! :p

If you are freezing on the splash screen, it needs more voltage. You hit the multi limit when you don't get that far ane are staring at a blinking cursor after post.

If I try any higher it would decide to freeze up on the Windows splash screen when starting up. Do you think my MOBO could be holding my CPU back from OCing higher or is that the max OC I can get with my particular chip?
Difficult to tell, only way to know is if you stick it in another board and try. The Sandy's from what I know just hit a wall and that's it. Send it to me and I'll stick it in my board and give it a whirl :p

Not sure I would give it more on ambient.. but you can still test the multi I believe... Keep voltage the same and raise it until you see the flashing cursor.

I received my Email from Noctua this morning.
Dear Mr. Blaylock,

thanks for contacting Noctua and for your interest in our products.

Our coolers are not intended for such low temperatures.
To get the circulation inside the heatpipes started, the heatpipes must reach a temperature of at least 25°C, not just at the bottom but over the whole heatpipe.
Even if your heat source would produce enough heat to achieve that, you might run into issues with condensation buildup.

To be able to work in such an environment reliable, it would be necessary to use a different fluid inside the heatpipes, e.g. alcohol instead of water.

Kind regards,
Andreas Karner
Noctua support team

Noctua - geräuschoptimierte Premium Komponenten
Noctua - sound-optimised premium components
E: [email protected]
W: http://www.noctua.at

22.01.2014 18:30 - Blaylock schrieb:

Good afternoon,

I’m hoping you can answer a question for me. The specifications sheet does not list operating temperatures for the NH-D14. Can the NH-D14 be operated in a zero degree or subzero degree environment. What is the lowest safe ambient temperature the Noctua NH-D14 can safely be used in?

Thank you,

Blaylock

It's what I expected to see. and I'm expecting a similar reply from Sapphire too. It just makes sense to use water in these heat pipes as the temps that are normally seen in processors. Looks like my first sub-zero run will be my last...for now...my gears are turning...I know I have some old heatsinks laying around somewhere, but that's for a different thread.

Not intended to go below 25c Ha! I guess I can't use one in my office since it's only 22c :p

I feel pretty good only losing, so far(LOL!), to a guy that has 2K worth of GPUs and did Sub zero, LOL! Fickle test, this! :p

@ heatpipe internals - The vast majority of heat pipes for room temperature applications use ammonia (213–373 K), alcohol (methanol (283–403 K) or ethanol (273–403 K)) or water (303–473 K) as working fluid.
From wiki and not specific, but just showing some support of which I was talking about. I was trying to find a review on a heatsink that said what was in it (was not water), but can't seem to find it as I have no clue what cooler or when it was (couple years ago). Most could be water now, or then, who knows. :)

Last edited:
I feel pretty good only losing, so far(LOL!), to a guy that has 2K worth of GPUs and did Sub zero, LOL! Fickle test, this! :p

Remeber it is weight average for scoring in the 3d section. So your points may be close. :thup:

yamaharacer19 | GTX 480 | Single | 43804

Sorry I'm here a little late, but can I ask?

What voltage and cooling was the GTX- 480 running?

Would you like a bios for extra voltage over 1.138v? (Yes I got it figured out and the Gpu now has 1.2v+ :D ) Can include the NVFlash and everything you need. Just drop the rom into the NVFlash exe (like you where moving the rom file into NVFlash exe) and hit y when prompted. You'll hear a beep beep and the cmd disappear the bios flashed successfully. The flash takes about 3 seconds to perform litterally. Touch nothing during the flash and do on a totally stock system. Restart the PC for the mod to take effect.

Have any issues, let me know. But it's just about as easy as it gets. (once you figure out how to make the batch file properly <- my problem was )

Attachments

• GTX 480 bios volt mod success.jpg
    GTX 480 bios volt mod success.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 38
  • EVGA GTX 480 Bios Flash.zip
    393.9 KB · Views: 4
Sorry I'm here a little late, but can I ask?

What voltage and cooling was the GTX- 480 running?

Would you like a bios for extra voltage over 1.138v? (Yes I got it figured out and the Gpu now has 1.2v+ :D ) Can include the NVFlash and everything you need. Just drop the rom into the NVFlash exe (like you where moving the rom file into NVFlash exe) and hit y when prompted. You'll hear a beep beep and the cmd disappear the bios flashed successfully. The flash takes about 3 seconds to perform litterally. Touch nothing during the flash and do on a totally stock system. Restart the PC for the mod to take effect.

Have any issues, let me know. But it's just about as easy as it gets. (once you figure out how to make the batch file properly <- my problem was )

I am using the stock cooler (blower type) and a voltage of 1.150v. I already did that voltage hack to my gpu via softmod. However, I can't use my main computer right now because I'm stuck in an infinite boot loop. It won't even boot to bios. It'll restart are (maximum) of 3 seconds and reboots again over and over. I already unplugged all my HDDs and SDDs from it. Took out my gfx card. What could be causing this?

The subzero was for the CPU and the second Titan gave and extra 600 points that it. I have a GTX 480 and 570 also have 290x I will run also for fun.

Yeah, SLI is brutal on this test at these clocks.

I know you can bump me out of single card, and I think Metal can too. :)

I am using the stock cooler (blower type) and a voltage of 1.150v. I already did that voltage hack to my gpu via softmod. However, I can't use my main computer right now because I'm stuck in an infinite boot loop. It won't even boot to bios. It'll restart are (maximum) of 3 seconds and reboots again over and over. I already unplugged all my HDDs and SDDs from it. Took out my gfx card. What could be causing this?

Do a hard cmos reset.

Meaning pull the PSU power plug, remove the battery and shelf the board with clear cmos position for a long period of time. Over night, while your at work all day or both. Clear the caps by cycling the power button after removing the battery, you can do this a few time over the course of the first 1/2 hour the board should be totally drained by then.

If all else fails, you can try and boot recovery bios. I know this works on Asus disk for the motherboard, puts the stock bios onto the board. Hopefully this will be a lucky route for you.

Generally a repeating post isn't a good sign for the bios chip. Or the board is damaged somewhere along the line.

EDIT:

I want to mention that 900mhz clock on air is most excellent. Mine on air would do 50mhz extra and that was on a lucky day lol. Very nice.

Last edited:
Nice Runs Jicc.

Disable hyper threading, run only 2 cores if you have to. 4.9ghz should net you 47K NP. :thup:

Here ya go E_D first attempt with the block and some cold weather I knew I could get better

Johan45/i74770k/GTX580/Dual/Air/55019

3d05 55000.JPG

Do a hard cmos reset.

Meaning pull the PSU power plug, remove the battery and shelf the board with clear cmos position for a long period of time. Over night, while your at work all day or both. Clear the caps by cycling the power button after removing the battery, you can do this a few time over the course of the first 1/2 hour the board should be totally drained by then.

If all else fails, you can try and boot recovery bios. I know this works on Asus disk for the motherboard, puts the stock bios onto the board. Hopefully this will be a lucky route for you.

Generally a repeating post isn't a good sign for the bios chip. Or the board is damaged somewhere along the line.

EDIT:

I want to mention that 900mhz clock on air is most excellent. Mine on air would do 50mhz extra and that was on a lucky day lol. Very nice.

I'm trying the hard cmos reset right now (on my lappy). I really do hope that works. If not, I'll be taking my motherboard and cpu to a local computer place and see which piece of hardware went bad.

I probably can do 950 with 1.150v with the stock cooler. I'm going to be doing "The Mod" to it and see if I can break 1.0 GHz with it "water cooled".

Back