• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Matx 1155 board with pci 16x on the outside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

Can anyone help recommend a matx 1155 board with a 16x pcie on the outside lane, and at least 2 1x pcie. Preferably 3? and preferably 1 old pci (not a clincher)

Might have a play with a light overclock, nothing too mad though. Not a serious gamer either, ie not running sli/crossfire. It's for a case mod.

Cheers

Looks spot on, although a slightly over budget and the bad reviews are a bit of a put off.

Things I don't need are any audio, onboard graphics, raid, esata or firewire.

Are there any other options? A 5 slot board would be nice.

Bad reviews ? This is a Z77-M Pro ... cant go wrong with an Asus PRO motherboard ... good VRMs, good onboard heatsink for VRMs and other parts. More than needed otpion in bios and many other features.

Yes you can find other boards with the PCIe as you need just browse website like newegg. I suggested you a board that i own and i owned tons of asus board in the past, none failed on me.

When you sell more board than other companies, you end up having more come back and usually those who had trouble speak much louder than those who dont have issue ( like me ... i never reviewed my Z77-M Pro on the egg ). Asus was the #1 board seller for 2012 so you can expect to have some DOA board in the lot. And many people that post these review on the egg are not alwais "trustable" reviewer and sometimes they broke the boadr themself without even knowing it and ask for an RMA, then cry all around the web cause the board dont work ...

I never ever had a DOA board from asus and i had tons for me, plus tons that i buyed for friends and other people i builth rig for. I currently use an EVGA board in my main rig but ill be back on Asus for my next board. Not that i dont like this EVGA one, but i prefer Asus.

I fully appreciate that, I wouldn't not buy a decent board over one bad review. but the sheer amount of complaints with the board is what puts me off.

Also I need good software fan control which the Asus doesn't seem to be to hot at from what I read.

"Bundled Fan Xpert+ is limited to 60% as well, so equally useless. Tried Fan Xpert2 which isn't officially supported for this board but works anyway. Slightly better but doesn't allow fans to spin below their minimum startup rpm (even though all fans can go much lower than that once they spin). Buggy as well, requiring manual reload of fanprofile after every reboot. Litters the system with services and leaves tons of junk in the registry after uninstall.
Cpu fanheader can only control 4-pin pwm fans, a real shame if you already have good quality 3-pin fans like Noctua's."

3 pin Noctuas are exactly what I have...

Thanks for the suggestion though, I do seem to be struggling finding another with the same features.

All up to you !

I dont use onboard fan header on any of my rig, i use fan controller, so i cant tell for fanXpert.

the sockets 2011 seems like they have the most bad reviews these days. for me i never owned one but its what i see.

See my 990fx asrock fan control is spot on, keeps my sanity at night as the computer is 2 feet from my face and even though it is so close I'm still far too lazy to keep adjusting a manual controller. Not only that there is no space on the new case to mount one.

If say I have 2 pcie full length slots, the inside one runs at 16x and outside at 4 or 8. If I only use the outside one will that run at full speed?

If anyone cares I'll hopefully be building it in an actual old cd seperates case to match an amp. Surprised I don't see more of this on the rounds of the internet. Fed up of the monster Fractal R3.

Good board too, similar to the Asus PRO i suggested your. Similair feature but different companie. And color ... of course !

if you look the board from top, with a large picture, you can see that teh 2 bottom slot are 8x wired, while the top one is 16x wired. In this pics, half the slot is "darker" cause of the metal in this half of the slot.

gigabyte-z77-g1-sniper-m3-motherboard-matx-3x-pcie-[3]-238-p.jpg

Ah understood.

Looking at it, the asus pro is the same? Black outside slot only running at x4?

I wanted to build this in a seperates cd player you see, with a full size graphics card and at least 2 maybe 3 other cards. So my idea is to put the gpu on the end with holes in the side so it's fan get's it's own air feed, not only that but also so the other cards do not block its airflow and get hot.

Last edited:
Probably there is no matx board with pcie x16 "outside" just because in that case you will need pcie bridge and there is no space to put one or producers will have to use 2 slots only.
In this case max is 16+4+4, 8+8+4, 8+8+1 or 8+4+4 what depends if board has additional x1 slots or not or if you are using SB or IB cpu.

When you use all slots then ASUS MVG has in real 8+8+4 pcie slots while 8+8 are pcie 3.0 and x4 is 2.0. There is also mpcie x1 slot 2.0 if you wish to use any mpcie card.
Gigabyte M3 has about the same with the only difference which is pcie x1 slot instead of mpcie x1.

That Asus won't do the job because of the layout on closer look.

Seems a bit silly really, using the gpu in the first slot pretty much writes off all the other slots if you want any decent airflow.

Knocked my project over for the moment. Balls.

Well I figured I still have a couple of options. First use an matx and pcie extenders for the cards to swap them around. Or just move the sound and dvb cards elsewhere leaving the gpu in its slot.

Or maybe there is a mini itx that has a gpu slot and say a wifi card in a 1x pci that can be removed? Then find a usb device that is as good as either the d2x or a black gold dvb.

Back