• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading one of my machines - which should I upgrade? (first world problem)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bishoff

My Dilemma:

I have a 9900k, 16GB 3200MHz G.Skill RAM, 970 EVO M.2 X4 SSD, and an Asrock X390 Taichi Ultimate (my 1st Asrock board ever) on the way.

I have 2 machines that I use mainly for gaming duties and watching movies/videos - one is my 4K TV/server/couch gamer rig that is on 24/7 in an HT case and theater room, air cooled and my other is my main gamer rig desktop with a full custom loop, 165 Hz G-Sync 1440P monitor in my office. I probably use the "main" rig slightly more for gaming, but I do like playing on the 4K TV with a controller in hand (Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC: Odyssey, etc.)

The "couch gamer/server" is a 4790K at 4.5GHz (Noctua L12 cooler), 16GB RAM, and a single 1080Ti. This rig is super stable btw and mated to an LG OLED 4K TV.

The "main" rig is an X99 build consisting of a 5930K, 32GB 2400 MHz RAM, 2-1080TI's in SLI, 950 Pro M.2SSD - all on a custom loop water setup (EK blocks, etc.)

Which one should I upgrade? If I swap out the main gamer, it will be SLI 1080 TI's still (but no more 16X PCI E lanes on each card - probably irrelevant. If I swap out the 4790K and playing on 4K, does it even matter? I'm thinking it won't looking at benchmarks.

Again, 1st world problem, but a problem nonetheless. What would you do? Initially I was thinking to replace the couch gamer, but now I'm thinking the main gamer makes more sense since it's on a 1440p 165 Hz monitor which can handle the increase in frame rate; and I can overclock the hell out of it being on a custom loop, whereas the couch gamer won't allow for any overclocking being it's in an air restricted case in a cubby-hole TV furniture/stand. The case is maxed out with all Noctuas F12 fans (and the 80mm equivalents) for max airflow (Silverstone GD08)

Cheers,

Looks like SLI won't work when using an Ultra M.2 on Z390, so looks like the 4790K is getting the boot :p

No complaints really - I just had the urge to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I typically don't go that route but this year it got me, hehe.

I really think at this point only you can answer this. Start with your main computer and see if it is meeting your needs and desires. If so, move to the next, and so on.

If you really can't find any deficiencies, maybe look at a new gaming keyboard or mouse that Santa can bring you.

i would say it depends on what your going to do with the rig your going to replace. is it going to the kids? do mom and dad need a new browsing rig? are you in need of a server rig etc...

No complaints really - I just had the urge to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I typically don't go that route but this year it got me, hehe.

Upgraditis! Yeah, new gear is the cure. You can treat the symptoms with the judicious application of peripherals, but that only lessens the itch. It's why I was browsing cases recently. LOL

Upgraditis! Yeah, new gear is the cure. You can treat the symptoms with the judicious application of peripherals, but that only lessens the itch. It's why I was browsing cases recently. LOL

Haha - I knew there was a medical term for it ;) It could be worse, I could be dumping money into cars (was able to break that habit that in my 20's thankfully). In Hindsight, PC hardware is fairly cheap.

Same with me and cars, then bikes. Although, with some of the $2k PC "engines" Intel has been foisting on the public, building an old bike seems almost like a break even proposition. LOL

Same with me and cars, then bikes. Although, with some of the $2k PC "engines" Intel has been foisting on the public, building an old bike seems almost like a break even proposition. LOL

Yeah then all you need is how to figure out how to get more air into the pump, spark and pull the heat out?

Okay back on target, Bishoff honestly if I were you. Forgo the upgrade and get something to bench with. If you have an itch sometimes benching cures! You don't need the latest and greatest either. Just get something fun to OC and push it as far as you can. Take it cold and blow some stuff up.

Yeah then all you need is how to figure out how to get more air into the pump, spark and pull the heat out?

Okay back on target, Bishoff honestly if I were you. Forgo the upgrade and get something to bench with. If you have an itch sometimes benching cures! You don't need the latest and greatest either. Just get something fun to OC and push it as far as you can. Take it cold and blow some stuff up.

Maybe I'll blow up the 4790k lol

Honestly, what is a new setup going to give you? A few FPS, quicker startup by 1 second? Prettier graphics, is the only reason I can see an upgrade being worth it. That said, I find tweaking and pushing stuff to it's limits can be quite entertaining. You'd be surprised what you will learn when really trying to push something to it's limits.

Back